News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Mecum Kissimmee: 1939 Series 90 V16 Conv Sdn - Unrestored - 1 of 4 made.

Started by Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621, January 16, 2022, 12:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Bryan J Moran

Well covered on the AACA forum.  I learned a lot on the later V16. 
CLC 35000 in number only

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

I DON'T believe the miles!!! Then again, some people can turn a nice car into a POS!! Somebody put a CHEAP top on it years ago. They threw away all the chrome trim & the impossible to find rear window. However, it looks like a good car to restore.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

It needs the loving hands of Al Lindemann in NY. Have you ever seen what he did with a sister convert? A 1940 7567 coupe I believe. I saw it looking about like this and shining like new the next year. And I don't think he painted it all over.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Coastal FL conditions can murder a car in no time. Two years was all it took for a friend's perfect 5,000 mile '73 CdV to turn the body into a blistered mess.

Chris Cummings

Bryan,

Where is it covered on the AACA forum?  I looked at the Cadillac section and didn't see it.

Tanks,

Chris Cummings

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

Lots of bad info on the AACA discussion.  For one thing the purpose of the overhead valve engine in the early V-16 was not for what it was later (higher compression and better breathing).  V-16's have natural balance at 45 and 135 degree vee's.  In the early cars the 45 degree design fit the cars.  With 45 degrees there is not room to put the intake and exhaust manifolds in the vee so overhead valves solves that problem.  One goes on the outside of the engine and the other goes in the vee. By the time of the late V-16 the body design was completely changed and the 135 degree design would fit.  Now the intake and exhaust manifolds could fit very nicely between the vee.  Fuel was still not available for higher compression ratios so flathead is fine but it had a higher compression ratio than the early V-16.  The late V-16 had a very modern square bore and stroke with very modern bearing sizing.  Rod bearings are the same size as Chev V-8 and can in fact be used.  Rod is slightly longer but close. 

In any discussion of why did Cadillac build the late V-16 you have to remember this must have been decided in the 1936 time period and there was optimism that the depression was going to end.  Cadillac had the resources so let's keep advancing and beat the competition.  There is an SAE paper by chief engineer Seaholm going over the design and the justification for it.  No talk of any other uses for the engine.     
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Everything I read says the later V16 was mechanically superior despite its utilitarian appearance. It was not quite as advanced with flathead design compared to the OH valve of the earlier engine.

Cost to rebuild was mentioned as being $65,000 on the AACA forum. Yikes!

Bryan J Moran

Brad
I will reserve judgment but there was some good discussion on the AACA thread.   I no longer have Cadillac resource books or I would have re-read those sections, not that that is definitive (i.e. Kimes, etc) 

I would not want one, not that I can play in that sandbox, but it just seems like a headache to take on a late V16 when the V8 was so well sorted and Cadillac used it and trusted it through 1948. 
CLC 35000 in number only

Chris Cummings

The OHV V-16 had both intake and exhaust manifolds on the outside.  It was essentially two straight eight engines sharing the same crankshaft and camshaft.  Separate fuel systems from the gas tank forward.  Separate ignition systems, but using the same distributor.  You could drive the car with one half of the engine shut off (anemic performance, but it would run).

The side-valve V-16 had a little over half the number of moving parts (1,627) that the OHV V-16 engine had (3,273), and it was 250 pounds lighter.  But it put out the same horsepower (185 advertised) with 21 fewer cubic inches of piston displacement.  The flathead V-16 wasn't as pretty as its predecessor, but it had a lower profile that worked well with the new lower, longer cars Cadillac was building.

Imagine the audacity of doubling down and introducing another V-16 engine.  Yes, things looked like they might be turning around in 1936 and 1937, but 1938 brought another economic downturn.  Cadillac's V-16 program persisted through 1940.