News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'76 Eldorado Rear Shocks

Started by mrmatthew, April 07, 2022, 01:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrmatthew

I have aftermarket air shocks & all suspension parts have been replaced on my 1976 Eldorado. It rides ok but could be better. A mechanic suggested I put regular shocks on the rear for a better ride. All the research I've done says air shocks are best if your original levelers have gone bad. Any input would be appreciated.

bctexas

Are the new air shocks gas filled?  If the old ones were not, that may be the source of the ride issue.  I switched my '65 CDV from old non-gas shocks to new gas shocks and it made the ride much more harsh over small bumps.  I put the old shocks back on.  The only source I have found for new non-gas shocks is:

https://www.shocks2springs.com/

They list air shocks for the '76 Eldo, but it does not specifically state that they are not gas filled shocks.  I spoke with them a couple days ago, and they were very helpful.  I haven't tried a set yet - going to do some AC work first.....

Happy Motoring!
1965 CDV
1970 SDV

mrmatthew

Those shocks are a bit pricey but would be well worth it if they give the car a better ride. Let us know your results when you get them on & test drive it. My air shocks are just that, manually filled with air to adjust the rear end height.

Steve Lomas

When you say all suspension parts have been replaced- how long ago?  could the bushings on the air shocks be worn/perished? Other than that, I've had a couple of these cars and the rear suspension never feels as smooth as the front does with those torsion bars.

mrmatthew

Within the last year. On a newly paved road it rides 8 out 10 like it would have in 1976...Unfortunately my city's roads are terrible & my truck rides smoother on them.

The Tassie Devil(le)

An Eldorado that is factory-fitted with ALC has softer rear springs.

If the car was ordered without ALC, the stiffer springs were fitted to maintain normal ride height.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon