News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1971 Eldorado....thoughts?

Started by Ccm, April 09, 2022, 07:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ccm

Hello,
This seems like the place to get some feedback on a car for sale :
1971 Eldorado,  $22 k, supposedly 21 k miles. And a bling-factor that is through the roof!  Two listings for it below.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/d/lynnwood-1971-cadillac-eldorado-coupe/7468571242.html

https://www.jaguarseattle.com/inventory/1971-cadillac-eldorado-coupe-693471q425349

Been looking for a relatively inexpensive classic car for local car shows. I'm a motorcycle guy, but this local listing caught my eye! Looks like I'll I would have to do is polish it. I've had a few 70's Oldsmobile's over the years, never a Cadillac.

Thoughts? Is it reasonable? Advice?

79 Eldorado

You should see if the seller knows the maintenance history and how long it's been sitting. Regardless of the miles seals, gaskets, soft parts (brake hoses, tires etc) can degrade. If someone has been driving and maintaining it that makes it more interesting.

I'm not a fan of the eyelid over top of the windshield or the extra part on the front above the grill but for what it is it looks like it was done well. I thought the interior looked very good. Is that a really dark brown or is that just the photo? I like the idea of the dark brown if that's what it is.

We cannot see under the hood or under the car. There is one photo where you can see the bottom seam of the door and it looks clean and original. I assumed the link to the dealer site had the complete set of photos so I didn't look at the craigslist link.

Welcome to the forum!

Scott

Ccm

Thanks for the reply. I understand the critique of the added chrome, but if you knew my bikes you would realize that this car doesn't have nearly enough farkles and do-dads for my taste!  I know nothing about these cars, but I was assuming all the shiny stuff was aftermarket or dealer added items. I especially like the trunk straps.

The age of the soft parts don't concern me, I would expect to replace them all. The hard parts, however...yes, maintenance history would be nice. Plus I would bring my paint meter.

The big unknown to me is price. Hagerty valuation looks to be the sellers benchmark,  but hemmings listings run a little lower.

Is this a desirable model?  I love how it looks, so I guess that's the only thing that really matters. But I wouldn't want to be taken advantage of.

79 Eldorado

It's a Jaguar dealer selling it. My general impression is that when a dealer has something which isn't in their typical lane they're guessing what it's worth. I'm not an expert in that particular year. You posted in cars for sale which will draw people looking to buy. I wouldn't have posted there. You want to buy but you're asking for opinions on a specific car for knowledge and not necessarily others offering to sell you a similar car. I think I would have posted in the General Topics. Make sure it's clear you want to learn more about what to look for. Maybe Bruce (moderator) would move the topic for you if you send him a DM.

It's the first year of that generation. They are FWD but with the engine running in the direction as God intended (not a sidewinder). The trans should be a TH425 which was a good transmission. I don't typically hear a lot of criticism regarding the 500.

A couple things regarding the price. The bling/extras look like they're done well but a certain portion of the people will be turned off by a modified car. That works to your advantage. The Hemmings price would likely be reduced by something like that. It turns off some people because it's easier to modify than it is to return something to stock. When I see something modified I always wonder how well it was down and what was done that I don't see. That said everything else looks very original down to the factory 8-track player which is getting to be a real cool factor. The second value comment is it's very hard to comment without history, looking underneath and under the hood. My gut feeling it is a very nice car and probably deserves some premium but reduced because they limited the market when the added the bling. If everything checks out with the paint meter, if it's not a 20 footer, it's had a good maintenance history then my sense is it could be worth close to what they're asking but I would feel better at around 17K.

Just be careful of repairs which hid something. It looks original but is it? The chrome looks to be in great condition. The interior looks fantastic. The top looks great as well...but that's in photos without a close inspection. White paint hides things well but if you bring a paint gauge there's no hiding.

Scott

Bryan J Moran

That's an easy pass. Keep looking. 
CLC 35000 in number only

wrench

I think the price is high.

I have to wonder how many 'extra' holes had to be drilled.

1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Ccm

Thanks for all the replies. Scheduled to see it Wednesday. It is located off site from the dealership. They are bringing it in. Assuming it's a sales persons or a "friends" car (or the dealership showroom is too small to display the car!!!). I asked for a rack to be available. Any last words of wisdom on inspection would be appreciated.

hornetball

Use the "pimped out decreases value" to your advantage -- especially if you like it!  These mods do capture an era.  When was the last time you watched "Live and Let Die"?

79 Eldorado

I would point out the things which will make it harder for them to sell and obviously items which you see will need attention. I would then let them make the first offer at a lower price. After you give them the input it tells them you need the price to be lower. You can then ask them what do they really need to get for it. They probably won't come down initially to anywhere near what some are thinking. It's hard to say. When I suggested 17K I meant the high end considering miles, a history of maintenance, a show room new look under the hood, paint in very good condition and no corrosion issues past or present. To an extent that also means without the added modifications; desirable in your case but generally further devaluing.

Bryan posts a lot of links to cars for sale so he sees a lot. He never gave a reason for keep looking. I guess it was price and the modifications. My feeling is yes there are some well preserved Cadillacs out there but like the modifications or not it appears to be a car which was well cared for. If I wanted, taking Bryan's comment in mind, I would buy it for 12-15K.

You could try to check Bring-a-trailer to see what 1971 Eldorados have sold for there. They will almost all be very nice cars and that site seems to bring the higher end of the price. You could use it as a gauge at least. I would say look at 71 and up a couple of years but I know after '71 GM cars started to get down rated engines so since 71 was the first year for this body style it may be comparable to 71 only.

Scott

James Landi

I owned a 72 Eldo for many years, so here are my cautionary notes, as follows:
1. THe odometer reading--- a half century and under 100K- you do the math-- maybe, but be very skeptical
2.  Original seats were leather... a good vinyl job can fool you--- verify 
3.  RUST RUST RUST--- carefully check the front area floor pan and especially areas behind front wheel wells  (thick wads of undercoating are a tell tale--- also, rust under the vinyl top, especially where the top and the trunk meet. These coupes would rust through 
4.  DO NOT accept, "All the a/c system needs is a shot of freon"--- you really don't want to pay for repairs on an non-functioning electronic climate control system--- you want it entirely functional on all setting.  THey are relatively complex with many vacuum components that are prone to failure.
5. A functioning automatic level control system... if the mileage is "real" then this system should operate.  YOu should be able to see the airshocks inflate when the car is started and you put some weight on the rear end.
6. CHeck the front wheel drive components carefully---torn rubber boots on front axle--- clicking sounds when you turn corners... front end "buzzing" when the car is up to speed (expensive front wheel bearing).
7. If it's really low mileage, have the radiator coolant checked for acid--- the "green stuff" can stay very clean looking, but have it tested for acid.
The additional "bling" were high ticket items on this car, and as mentioned  above, well installed. Whoever had the work done, spent a lot of money.  I noticed that a one year only (1968) illuminated rear crest and wreath installed on the rear fender---and all the other jewelry looks to be well installed.
FOr the asking price, it would have to be in perfect condition... if it's not, they are MISREPRESENTING THE CAR, and getting it perfect will be very costly.  Someone mentioned "on going maintenance"--  that's a tell tale.  By way of summary, yes, it's unique and old, but any major repairs and replacements on this car are deal breakers given how it's represented.   DOn't be lulled into thinking that just because the car runs well and shifts well that you'll be satisfied with it-- you won't especially at that price... for the asking price, there should be no excuses or disappointments.  Hope this helps, James
'

J. Skelly

other areas to look for rust:

where the fender skirt mounting brackets attach to the outer wheelhousing
just behind each door should be a rectangular rubber flap along the lower body ... open it and see if rust, debris or water comes out
fender skirts rust out at front and back end, so have them removed for careful inspection on both sides
quarter panels rust out in front of and behind the wheels (areas are covered by the fender skirts)
doors rust out at the front and back along the bottom
fenders rust out behind the wheels at the bottom
trunk lid at back edge on the inside seam
hood along inside leading edge
behind upper windshield molding
trunk floor along inner wheelhousings
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

Bryan J Moran

My brevity comes from reading Eric's comments over the years.  Scott, James and others have provided excellent check points. 

They made a lot of these, relatively speaking, for many years.  To focus on one, especially when it is priced in convertible money, does not make sense.  Add to that the modifications, which most of us do not like, but you apparently do, which is fine. 

Pimpmobiles, for a lack of better description of these sorts of modifications, are "kind of" neat and I would consider one in the much much lower price range.  But for $20,000 to $23,000 a person can expect to get a well sorted, high point 1971-1976 Eldorado convertible. 

And you are dealing with an agency (the dealership) that has set the price, an unrealistic price, that they have no idea on what we discuss here.  They aren't even a Cadillac dealer with a long history.  If they were, they likely would have never offered to sell this modified, customized job. 

You don't want buyers remorse with a $22,000 purchase of a modified Eldorado hardtop.  In my opinion. 
CLC 35000 in number only

Ccm

Wow. Many, many thanks. I will be making a checklist. Gotta love this World Wide Interweb thingy!

Ccm

Here is a link to a Google shared photo folder of about 30 undercarriage and engine bay photos sent to me late yesterday.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YGWHNn8Aj9WrWuGn9

35-709

In the second and third engine compartment pictures, there is what appears to be a siren.   ::)
In the last picture, evidence of the vinyl top shrinking can be seen.  Check that top all around the car very carefully, especially (as has already been mentioned, but I repeat for emphasis) for signs of rust underneath the top around the rear window, which will be seen as bubbling under the vinyl.  A very common bad spot on these cars and expensive to fix, and usually worse than initially thought --- once the top is partially removed to fix the rust.

To add:  I wouldn't accept that mileage unless they can provide verification.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

J

that Eldorado is amazing and that price is very reasonable The chrome aftermarket items are worth $6000 alone.
Cadillac got me!!!

76eldo

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

35-709

Quote from: Ccm on April 10, 2022, 03:21:11 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Scheduled to see it Wednesday. It is located off site from the dealership. They are bringing it in. Assuming it's a sales persons or a "friends" car (or the dealership showroom is too small to display the car!!!). I asked for a rack to be available. Any last words of wisdom on inspection would be appreciated.
This should be interesting, Ccm (and the dealership) are in Seattle.  Don't suppose they are bringing it to Seattle from New York so he can see it on Wednesday.  Or are we dealing with a scam here.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Ccm

I think the posting saying the car is in New York was meant for the posting of the convertible listed on BAT. That very nice car is located in NY.

79 Eldorado

I looked at the additional photos and to me it doesn't look like the image which the car presented itself as in the other photos. In the photo of the driver side sill plate there's signs of some rust bleeding through on the paint. It was likely sitting outside for a while in the fall as there's a leaf stuck in the door jam. The frame makes it look like a car with a lot more miles or at least not stored in optimum conditions.

I think most agreed it would need to be basically flawless for their price but with the vinyl top pulling back, some small signs of rust. It's far from what I thought from the other photos. It will be interesting to hear what the paint gauge has to say. I should stop guessing what it may be worth but I feel as if cutting my initial impression in half would be closer. I am tending toward the walk away and look for something else camp.

BAT is a good place to look. They tend to have very nice cars and/or at least the auctions seem to be revealing. The average price is typically high but BAT selects the cars they want to list and not all make the cut.

Scott