News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Car Cover Suggestions?

Started by dannygila, May 06, 2022, 09:09:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannygila

Hello,
I recently purchased a 1976 Fleetwood Brougham. Unfortunately, due to its length, it will not fit in my garage and will have to be stored outside during all four seasons. Was wondering if anyone here can suggest a good brand or reputable car cover company from which to purchase a good cover, or more importantly, which ones to avoid. Thanks.
-Dan

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Dan,

When I was in this predicament, I sought out boat covers.   These are made in a lot larger range, shapes and will fit any car.

As for the construction so as to not harm the vehicles' paintwork, that is another story.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Auscadi73

I use two,a cheap plastic one that is fully waterproof this one is for a medium size car doesnt fit the Cadi to good but  I just want to make sure the vinyl roof stays dry.Then I use another premium one to cover the whole car this one fits perfectly.
The premium one is supposed to be fully water proof but I still found the roof a little damp so use two

35-709

Weather Tech Sunbrella --- https://www.weathertech.com/sunbrella/
Cover Craft --- https://www.covercraft.com/

Several to choose from on Google.  For outdoors, year-round, you will want the most expensive.  Avoid cheap.
Here's a slightly different approach ---  https://carcapsule.com/

You don't want completely water proof, the cover needs to breathe to protect the paint.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Big Fins

I use a California brand car cover. It fits both the '69 FWB and the Eldorado, although the FWB is a bit on the snug side. They will make a cover to your specs. Make sure that you order it with both side mirror pockets and a pocket for the hood ornament.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

I've used Calif Car Cover "stormweave" for over
30 years and find they hold up great and have a great warranty.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

79 Eldorado

I use the California Covers brand too. You buy them model specific so if they list your car it should fit.

Scott

Tom Boehm

I have an indoor cover from California Car Cover that I am happy with. The high quality outdoor covers do not trap moisture under the cover. Moisture under the cover might be worse than no cover at all.

Abe Lugo

Cal car covers.  Note that  covercraft makes them for CCC. But some how the price is better at Cal Car Covers.  I have stormweave on mine

Note also that if you ask for an outside cover it will fit tighter than one meant for inside the garage. 

Also always ask to see what discounts they might have AAA, or Hergerty or something.
Abe Lugo  CLC#31763  Sunny Los Angeles,CA @abelugo IG

David Greenburg

I also use CCC covers.  Quality product and good service.  If you are unsure of which type is the best, you can call and the person on the phone can walk through what is best for your particular situation.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

KOKNEYELDO

We live just outside of Los Angeles so the sun is the only issue and have never needed to worry about the wind.

I bought the Sunbrella in 2017 for about $520.00 so wash/clean it 3-4 times a year.

The current price is about $720.00 so they are not cheap.

It will last a lot longer than the 6 year warranty and I'm very happy with the quality.

Do not buy a cheap one!
Present cars:

1975 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
1957 Ford Thunderbird
2007 Jeep Commander Overland
2018 Audi A3

Come On You Blues!