News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 Trunk Mercury light switch

Started by Ivan Yurtin, May 07, 2022, 11:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivan Yurtin

Does anyone know where I can get the mercury switch for my 1959 trunk light?

Thanks,

Ivan Yurtin
Ivan Yurtin

fishnjim

Put it in "wanted parts".

They're getting scarce, and people have grafted parts to make them work.  I'd convert to a pop-up, if you don't find.    Might try the all cads, etc. and places doing '50s.   I know this came up in the other brand which is more defunct and not much.   Takes a bit of searching to find things these daze.

35-709

Don't believe they make mercury switches anymore so anything you will find will be used (unless someone comes up with an NOS $witch).  Used is a crap shoot, they just plain fail in time, anything you find may or may not last very long.  They now use a metal ball that rolls back and forth to make/break the connection.  A link to the one I used to replace the bad one in my Bonneville's trunk below from American Autowire.  Looks similar to some original trunk lights and works well.  Didn't need all that wire so I cut it and spliced into my original wire connector.  Also had to bend the bracket slightly so it turned on and off at the correct time as the trunk lid was raised and lowered.

https://www.americanautowire.com/shop/trunk-and-under-hood-light-assembly?gclid=Cj0KCQjw1N2TBhCOARIsAGVHQc4dDqyFqtrq1Hth_dCmimmmNYvulOIRjnF95pgbWf_9E2uMbLl4laIaAjPPEALw_wcB 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Joe Jensen

I bought two from Bob's Automobilia for my '49. https://bobsautomobilia.com/shop/rear-deck-items/trunk-lid-lamp-12-volt-lcl-392-12/

The part number is LCL-392-12.

I bought the 6v versions but they have 12v as well.  The ones I have work great.

Good luck!
Joe

Abe Lugo

Someone posted they used these.  They just had to configure them to sit the same.  About 8/9 bucks each.
Look up. excalibur au46 omega switch tilt sensor on eBay.  Find the cheapest price and go.
I used on on my 41 cadillac glove box door.

The originals are steel and the main wire sometimes grounds out because the insulation is gone.
Abe Lugo  CLC#31763  Sunny Los Angeles,CA @abelugo IG

Lexi

Are you looking for originality? My personal parts list says I got 4 trunk lights, 3 appear to be mercury and one not, based on my "chicken scratch". I would have to go look for them and do some research when/if located. Heading to my parts storage probably later this month. The MPL says this part is the same for 1954 - 1959 (excluding commercial chassis). If interested I could look for them and see how they compare to what is in my car as said to be the same. Will run a continuity test on them as well. A buddy owns a '59 Flat top and could see what is under his trunk and compare. Let me know if interested or install a new replacement from Bob's. Clay/Lexi

b.dygger

had a switch that was working. A friend of my took it wrapped it in a cloth and bubble wrap, then clamped it into his paint shaker and shook it at a seed lower than you would shake paint for about an hour. It worked perfectly after that.
If you switch is intact this might be worth a try.

35-709

;D  I've heard of that, might be worth a try --- as the man said.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

59-in-pieces

Clay/Lexi,

I looked at the Bob's site, but that was an old school trunk light assembly - unless the idea was to take it apart for a switch inside.

Do you have a pic of 1 of the 4 switches you have.
I understand there is a glass fuse design and a metal flying saucer shaped type.

Would you ask your buddy with his flat top to take a pic.

Or does anybody have a pic of their trunk mercury switch they would post.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Lexi

I will see if I can get a photo of my buddy's trunk light in his '59, though not sure when as I don't see him as often in these covid times. I don't have mine at the house, but in storage. From memory 3 are mercury switches and I think all from 1956 Caddy parts cars. As I recall you don't see the mercury, but is there in a sealed unit. Perhaps if disassembled it would be visible. Can't remember. The 1959 MPL said all the same for 1954 - 1959, (Group 14.2285 "Light, Trunk Compartment"). Checking the 1962 MPL this part was extended to cover 1954 - 1962. Perhaps it continued to be used but have no later MPLs to verify. One of the lights from memory was not mercury and was a different shape. It was circular and the trigger mechanism was probably elsewhere so all that I have of that unit is the circular base & socket for the bulb and the wire that carried the power. Have no idea where or what it came from. It is with the 3 trunk lights according to my notes, but may in reality be something else? To check when I see them in person again. Will try and get pics when I go to to my storage later in the month. Clay/Lexi