News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

deville 67 - Holley carb

Started by TomB, May 09, 2022, 04:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomB

I thought my beauty was finally roadworthy...turns out the previous owner screwed a Holley R8-4014 on top of my 429, with no decent adaptor plate/spacer. So the rubberish shit and flimsy gasket with a very poor fit melted/cracked, hard stop on the highway. I am having a hard time finding a proper plate to connect the holley R8-4014 with the 429 intake. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Tom

wheikkila

You can purchase the correct carburetor. That will make finding the parts you need easier and most likely make it run better. Just a thought.
               Thanks Wayne   

TomB

Hi Wayne  thanks for the suggestion, but haynes manual for carbs it states that those Holleys were considered an upgrade, but I cannot find the rightmod parts, I might look for a decent Rochester

Cheers, tom

35-709

GM (Cadillac) spends untold sums of money engineering the engines, carburetors, etc., etc., to come up with the best all around combination and then Haynes comes along and says, "we think this will work better".  BS!  Wonder how much money Haynes spent on engineering and research to come up with that off-the-wall assumption.   ::)
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

fishnjim

If the linkage and jets are already sorted out, no need to change, then;
contact Holley.com or any of the speed shops under gaskets/spacers.   Mt. gasket may evne have something.
I don't know what spacer fits that manifold but if you match the holes with what's on there and the bolt pattern, it should be OK.   There's no magic spacer thickness size so long as it doesn't interfere with the linkage, fuel lines, etc.  Make sure there's a gasket on each face.   
I don't see any reason not to prefer a Holley over a Rochester.   

TomB

Thanks guys.I managed to find a 67 only gasket here in The Netherlands and wil install from down up, first gasket, then heatshield and and then the holley... Mr Gasket indeed offers a whole package, but will try config as I laid out above. Fingers crossed.

TJ Hopland

The 67's was the first year for the Quadrajet often also called the spread bore.   Holly has made spread bore carbs over the years but their most common ones are often called square bore.   Sounds like you have yours figured out but for anyone else try using the search terms spread bore to square bore adapter. 

Like others mentioned getting the linkages all working correctly is a whole other project and a good reason not to try this sort of swap.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason