News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

47 Turn signal switch

Started by bobrich47, May 15, 2022, 06:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobrich47

Good morning,  I need to replace the wiring in the steering column of my 60S.  Are these contacts soldered ?  They appear to be but I would like confirmation. Has anyone done this before. I'm  not sure if I need to replace the switch, but since I have it disassembled, now would be the time. A thorough cleaning is also needed.  The switch worked fine 25 years ago when I got the car & I'm pretty sure it still does, but it is 75 years old & probably tired. Also disassembling the housing further  looks a bit intimidating. Do I loosen the screws that hold those ball bearings? Are there any rubber parts in there .  I  have been unable to locate a new switch. Anybody know of a source for the switch and horn contacts? Buick,Oldsmobile?  Thanks, Bob.
Bob Richards

Joe Jensen

Bob:

I can't tell for certain that your turn signal switch has soldered wires but I suspect it likely does.  I think you will see it better on the other side of the terminal board (the side we can't see in the pictures).  My '49 series 62 had soldered connections (more wires than yours, so it is definitely a different switch).  Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of the switch on my '49, otherwise I would show you what my switch looked like.

Soldering the new wires to your existing switch is going to be the only way I can think of to reuse your switch.

Good luck!
Joe

bobrich47

Bob Richards

harry s

The wires are soldered but must not have been done very good. I have an NOS '47 switch that has a wire that has come loose.    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

bobrich47

Bob Richards