News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

OIL BLOW BACK ON ENGINE 1954 CADILLAC 60 SPECIAL FLEETWOOD

Started by bobw01, May 15, 2022, 04:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobw01

I AM HAVING A MAJOR PROBLEM IN THAT MY HOT ENGINE IS BURNING AND MAKING SMOKE SCREENS AS I DRIVE, FROM THE LARGE AMOUNT OF OIL BLOWING BACK ON THE ENGINE FROM FILLER SPOUT AND UNDER ENGINE FROM OTHER OIL VENT BELOW THE ENGINE ON MY 1954 CADILLAC 60 SPECIAL FLEETWOOD. SO IT WOULD APPEAR i NEED TO REPLACE MY "RINGS". i PUT SOME STUFF CALLED "RESTORE" IN THE OIL AS A TEMPORARY FIX.

IS THERE ANY WAY THIS BLOW BACK CAN BE ADDRESSED SHORT OF REMOVING THE ENGINE, OPENING UP ENGINE AND REBUILDING IT????

IF NOT IF MEMBERS COULD POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRCTION FOR COMPANIES SELLING CADILLAC PARTS AS i WOULD NEED THE FOLLOWING:
FULL ENGINE GASKET SET / OIL PUMP /TIMING CHAIN / RINGS / MAIN BEARINGS / ROD BEARINGS

THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS, HELP AND REFERRALS FOR PARTS NEEDED FOR A "RING" JOB.

BOB W.

Dave Shepherd

To confirm if it is bad rings a leak down test would confirm this. Try Egge for parts, you may need new pistons if the bores are worn.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

All caps are considered SHOUTING!! We can all read.
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

fishnjim

Run a compression test so you know if it's one cylinder or several.   One bad ring can be fixed in the car.   These cars do not have PCV so that's what happens when the compression ends up in the wrong place.   
Rebuild extent would also be based on mileage.

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

One thing i didnt see is if it had been run on a regular basis or not. Ours had been sitting since the 90's and was doing the same thing yours is doing. I put some Marvel's in the oil and just drove it. Cleared up after a few hundred miles.
Also, is your oil cap on correctly? The cutout faces forward.
I also had a pretty major leak because the filler neck was loose and leaking, and my front seal leaked. After about 8 minutes of idling, oil would start to really drip out of the front.
I redid the seal and it really helped. I get an ooz now but that is all. I actually have my water pump off so I might as well redo the seal again.
Jeff R
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

bobw01

Thank you for your response and advice. It is greatly appreciated.

Bob