News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

user James Tom a scam ???? name listed as James Thompson

Started by TomJudd, May 16, 2022, 08:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomJudd

A member listed as header name james Tom answered my  looking for parts ad. I see he just joined yesterday. Is he a paid authorized member, seems like a scam, o posts ?????

benji808

I had a similar message...told me to text  "Chris" and provided a phone number...I did not contact

TomJudd

Yup, he said call chris at 408xxxxxxx in Florida, that area code is California, He did not answer phone but did reply to my text. Wanted money via Zelle. Was suspicious, I asked for a pic of item (wiper arm) . He pulled and sent a pic of an item I had seen on E bay ! Not his. Called him a scammer, he kept denying of course. Be careful. Administers have been notified and removed "James Tom"  Thanx  administrators . Keep this site safe, and riff raff free !

dn010

If you google the number given 408 713 9568, you'll notice this person has been at it and caught on other forums as well, and uses the same basic message.

When in doubt, always google the name or number, or if you really need the part - ask them to list it on ebay so you are covered. I'd rather sell something and pay a fee than not sell it at all.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

hotrodln

Well if you look at my post- he wanted Zelle and i told him i didn't have it. so i asked for a mailing address and he gave me one in LA...i posted it on my scam alert.....i'd love to send the police there....i called his 408 number and it went to voicemail...but it listed his name as William robert.....on paypal it's william bARNETT....
Pat Prendergast

dn010

Your post didn't mention Zelle. Really all you can do is use it as a learning experience. Some tips for protection are-

Never send friends and family paypal unless you really trust the receiver. I've sent small ~$20 payments friends and family knowing I'd be out very little if it was fraud. Anything more, nope.

If the seller demands friends or family, zelle, venmo or other protection free payments, walk away from it. No seller should be twisting your arm.

Request parts to be listed on a protection friendly site. Anyone legit will take the fee hit as opposed to be sitting on parts even longer.

This can go deeper, as in searching phone numbers and addresses in state/county property appraiser websites if you are that much of a detective. But I'd just recommend if it feels to you that something wrong and YOU, that is spending the $$$ is being forced into a decision you don't like, it's because it is. I would think most of us here are honest folks, but those that just start accounts or call you without posting that they will- be hesitant. These people want every little digital trail for the world to see.

I wouldn't waste your time with the police these days, times are tight and tough for those guys. I used to be back in 2006 and we'd laugh at people reporting that their clothes were stolen when they walked away from the local laundry mat- only so much you can do and that was 16 years ago, bigger things going on then the "small" stuff unfortunately.

Live and learn, you didn't lose your house or savings. 

-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

bobrich47

BEWARE, He's still at it! He just hit me up today. He says call "Chris" in FL (really CA). Oh, Chris, He shouldn't be hard to find in FL. & He's got them Cheap! There's probably only 3 or 4 Chris's in the state.  Caveat Emptor!!
Bob Richards

The Tassie Devil(le)

Just checked the Ban List, and JamesTom was banned on the 17th May, which is a day after he sent you the message, so there must probably be more of his messages floating around.

But, once anyone is banned they cannot be able to use the PM System, as they are banned from everything.   Cannot access the Forum at all.

This is not to say that he cannot try again, using another computer.

Just proves that everyone has to be very vigilant.   Not posting email addresses, or phone numbers in the body of messages.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon