News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

‘60 speedo cable install

Started by David Greenburg, May 17, 2022, 02:13:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Greenburg

A couple of questions on installing a new speedo cable. First, can I assume the replacement cable assembly is already lubricated? It's a "duplicate of original" from a reputable vendor.  Second, how many rubber grommets are needed?  I know there's one where the cable passes through the firewall up to the cluster, and I have the remnants of that one. But it also looks like there could have been another one at the opening where the cable goes through the chassis on its way to the trans.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

TomJudd

In my experience, cable should not be lubricated, could gum up later. I have heard success using dry graphite powder only. Good luck !

Moody

Mine had one grommet and a clamp at the frame opening.
Dave
Moody

David Greenburg

That makes sense; not sure the opening down there needs to be sealed. But it would be good to keep it from flapping around.  On my old one it looks like someone "reinforced" the old cable by putting segments of hose/tubing on the cable at strategic points.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Moody

That's correct, though I believe the hose is to protect the cable from hitting the frame. I purchased a grommet which was remanufactured from an NOS Cadillac part, but while it will work, it is not the same as the original one on my car. Lots of the small parts were scavenged from other makes if supplies were low. My original wiper motor grommets were off a Chevy, but work just as well. Hardware can be substituted here and there. The only time this is an issue is in judging. So who would be right? But that's for another thread. Sorry to go off on a tangent.
Dave
Moody