News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1926 314 Convertible $5,000 Not Mine

Started by Bryan J Moran, October 03, 2022, 04:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan J Moran

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/600748774864184/?hoisted=false&ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A4ef89bf3-5033-4b66-a0cb-10cde75b8865

From ad (sorry, have to be a member of Facebook to view, I think) 

Seller's Description
1926 Cadillac 314 · Convertible · Driven 100,000 miles

1926 Cadillac 2-door Roadster.  Convertible wit
h Rumble Seat.  3-speed manual transmission.  132 inch wheelbase.  Almost complete set of parts and extras.  Flathead engine.  Clean title for a 2 door convertible.

Sure, it is not likely to find a buyer, and if it does, the odds of someone restoring are slim, but this is almost a 100 year old Cadillac. And a V8 convertible.  Would love to own it.
CLC 35000 in number only

James Landi

"Sure, it is not likely to find a buyer, and if it does, the odds of someone restoring are slim, but this is almost a 100 year old Cadillac. And a V8 convertible.  Would love to own it."

Now, being 77 in November, owning something like this and chipping away at it while I am still vertical and functioning would be a singular pleasure... so what if it's not complete and/or road worthy... I would have made an authentic attempt during the very last chapters of my life... perhaps I would consider being buried in it.
Thanks for posting Bryan... happy day, James

Bryan J Moran

James-
I followed up with the seller by asking some questions.  I got a little snoopy because it's Facebook, and found he looks like about a 52 year old guy in Lincoln, Nebraska with a nice family and as one can see in the ad photos, he must have a nice man cave garage with some collector cars already.  This does not look like a project he would want to go into a rabbit hole on. 

So I am curious if this was a family car on a rural property they owned and he decided to at least save it and bring it to his place for safe keeping.  I'll hopefully update soon.

Nebraska is an interesting place where many cars were left. The Lincoln Highway out that way and later Interstate 80, have or had many towns where cars were pulled into with service issues and left, never to go out on the road again or at least only be driven locally then ended up in huge salvage yards. 

I've seen these 1st hand and talked to a few old timers back in the 1980's.  In some cases, they said a family would be enroute to California and their car would die.  The garage would have a car prepped and ready to go and sell it to them to continue their journey.

Of course this could happen about anywhere along the Lincoln Highway and I80, but as some of us know, once you cross the Missouri and you start to see greater and greater expanses of prairie with no end, it can get intimidating.  Causing one to get stressed out if the old reliable starts overheating.

This would have been doubly the case in the 1920's.  Of course this is all conjecture, but with the metal, especially some aluminum in the 1926 Cadillac, I wonder how this car escaped the scrap drives of WW2? 

He is going to have difficulty moving it to a new owner but there were only 22 total 1926 Cadillacs even listed in the 2018 Directory/Roster.  In this age of "instant" convertibles such as the Camaro, Mustang and Corvette, to name a few, it's unfairly competing against easier ways to scratch an itch. 
CLC 35000 in number only

J

Cadillac got me!!!

James Landi

Thank you Bryan for your very informative narrative.  Kristina and I made the road trip from Maine to Yellowstone in our 1990 Allante back in 2006, and having experienced that much of the cross country trip in a well cared for and serviced 16 year old car, my never expressed anxiety regarding a breakdown was always just under the surface. As you state, there are huge expanses of territory that have zero population and services.  Pity those many poor folk who rolled the dice in hopes of a better life on the west coast and broke down mid-continent.  And you're so very much on target with old cars that suffer from mineral deposits in their radiators or a soon to fail transmission---under stress from heat, a heavy load and all day driving, they finally give up. Looking forward to "the rest of the story."   Gratefully, James