News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1939 LaSalle Interior Door Handles

Started by Artistic Precision, October 31, 2022, 11:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artistic Precision

Hello guys. Anybody have a pair of decent interior door handles? Chrome doesn't need to be perfect but no heavy pitting.

I found myself into a bit of a pickle. Over the past year or two, I have bought 2 different sets of handles. One set came with the mechanisms as well, but, the handles are seized onto the mechanisms. The other set I got was just the handles and escuchions.

I managed to get one of the handles to break loose and come off the mechanism, with some pb blaster, a torch, and a mini crowbar and a hammer. I took the new handle to test fit it onto the mechanism just to make sure splines were the same. And it popped right on easily. But wont come back off! I've been pb blasting it and heating it and hammering it the same as the one I just got off that was rusted and seized on. But this one wont budge and the mechanism itself is bending. I hurt my hand and got extremely frustrated because it popped on easily by hand. So I gave up and tried to get the other one off the other door, with no luck. Bending that mechanism as well.

I'm hoping I can find another set of handles, with mechanisms hopefully, that will be able to be separated, so I can take all my handles and cranks to the chromer with my other parts.

Any help is much appreciated. I normally don't let cars beat me. Im usually real good at getting stuff apart and back together, but this really pissed me off and I feel like Im damaging them pretty bad now trying to beat them angrily.

A. Porrino

Artistic Precision

SUCCESS! After I posted here, took a breather, and calmed myself, I was able to calmly get both handles to come off, and straighten out the mechanisms where they were bent. I hate letting cars get the best of me. Sometimes all that's needed is to walk away for a bit and come back fresh and calm. 🙏