News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1961 Cadillac “Special Order” HELP

Started by 61Caddy9090, January 29, 2023, 04:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

61Caddy9090

I have a 61 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible and I need help in determining what the "Special Order" SO 11847 means on my VIN plate.  I know what the "ACC" EHKY stand for but I can not find any reference to what the Special Order items are.

I'm also curious as to what the "04D" stands for just above the STYLE on the plate.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.3CD5F8D8-7542-45A2-BD48-2C9A410302D0.jpeg

Clewisiii

Build date. 04 is fourth month D is fourth week.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

David Greenburg

Is your interior a non-standard color or pattern?
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Could be something as minor as, for example, black steering wheel grips in an interior combination that called for an all white steering wheel. Any deviation from factory spec would trigger an SO.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

billyoung

Your 1961 Series 62 Convertible was assembled the 4th week of April 1961. It is the 11,847th '61 Series 62 convertible body built of a total of 15,500 for the year. it was born with a white conv. top and the Accessories stated are EZ Eye tinted glass, Heater, Air Conditioner and Six Way Seat. So it was a Basic Group B car. I wish I could see the rest of the aluminum body plate as I cannot see the Paint color number. Notice the rusty staples along the bottom of the plate. That originally held a paper that stated what the Special Order consisted of. If you can post the rest of the plate and any photos of the interior maybe I can help. I want to see the rest of that B O on the plate ?
Age 68, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

61Caddy9090

Hi Bill,

The only option that I can see in the car other than the "B" option group is White Ostrich Leather on the front seats, rear seats and door panels.  Everything else seems stock.  IMG_8234.jpeg I know that the paint color was Dresden Blue.  It was painted red some time ago.

Quote from: 61Caddy9090 on January 30, 2023, 01:23:26 PMHi Bill,

The only option that I can see in the car other than the "B" option group is White Ostrich Leather on the front seats, rear seats and door panels.  Everything else seems stock. I know that the paint color was Dresden Blue.  It was painted red some time ago.

Are all leather surfaces completely white with no contrasting sections? 

jagbuxx #12944

A4BBA604-6A27-4B37-B768-3445579D67F0.jpeg My '61 Coupe deVille is also an SO car. The interior was ordered in blue leather. Leather was not an RPO until 1962...
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

David Greenburg

Perhaps its the Ostrich leather? Wasn't that a '61 Biarritz choice? 
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

If the interior is all white leather and if the upholstery is still original, that would have been the SO since solid white wasn't a regular production interior combination on a 1961 Series 62 convertible. (Still awaiting a reply on the interior).

An image might help shed some light as the data plate is of little use in determining what the special order was.   

quadfins

As Dave says, it would be the Ostrich leather.

Regular series 62 leather was Florentine. Ostrich was for Eldorados.
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Mike Baillargeon #15848

I see where the staples are on the metal body ID tag....

does that tag get ripped off after the SO items have been installed at the factory/dealer?....

or does it fall off after decades of use?

I would think that tag would have all the SO info on it....

Mike

Mike
Baillargeon

I've seen one mid-50s Cadillac where the tag was still attached but it wasn't legible. The tags were paper and were unprotected from the elements so they rarely survived. 

billyoung

It appears your car was painted Dresden Blue and the Special Order on the interior was the Eldorado Ostrich Grain leather rather than the Florentine leather that was standard.
Age 68, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

61Caddy9090

61Caddy9090

Caddyholic

ITS HARD TO TELL FROM THE PICTURE IF IT IS OSTRICH LEATHER. LOOKS LIKE DEVILLE PATTERN.
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

Correct, upholstery is in Series 62 convertible pattern. Supposedly this is ostrich grain (inserts).

35-709

Cool!  You have a picture of the original owner in your car!
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2