News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

62 Carburetor Reccomandations

Started by drwarz, January 31, 2023, 08:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drwarz

I was wondering your guys recommendations to replace a Carter AFB Carburetor on my 1959 Sedan Deville. Should I get a remanufactured Carter or get a new Edelbrock Carb? Thanks for any input

fishnjim

The Edelbrock is basically an AFB.  Parts interchange.  They bought the rights.
The linkage may not fit and need some changes.

Michael Petti

Why do you want to replace it? If you have and AFB and it's giving you trouble,I would consider rebuilding it. One benefit is your linkages would probably connect with no modifications. So many new parts today are of dubious quality.

Gabe Davis

I recently had the original Carter rebuilt for my '59 by Daytona Parts Company. It looks like a brand new carb and runs beautifully. I finally got the engine to idle at the Cadillac recommended 450rpm after switching back to it from an Edelbrock.

There are a few pictures of it here in one of my threads:

https://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=169540.msg525728#msg525728

Daytona Parts Company is very highly recommended if you go down the path of rebuilding.

https://www.daytonaparts.com/
1959 Coupe DeVille
Rosewood with Dover White Top

walt chomosh #23510

Hi guys!
  I'm with Gabe. I've used Daytona and they are amazing. From gaskets to bushing carb throttle shafts there #1 in my book!....walt...tulsa,ok

35-709

I too use and recommend Daytona Parts in New Smyrna Beach, FL --- just south of Daytona.  I also fully agree with having Daytona rebuild your old carb, rather than buying something new that may fit but was not calibrated for your engine.  It will come back like new, you know it fits, and the linkages will be correct.

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2