News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

eBay is a great resource for the message board

Started by Porter, January 06, 2005, 06:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porter

Many of the Cadillacs for sale on eBay have good pictures to view, I have learned very much factual information about many of these cars that have been discussed here, the bogus representations, ridiculous claims about the Cadillac marquee or bogus rarity of the car, etc.

The members that ask questions from the sellers sometimes get nasty replies, reality is reality.

Whenever somebody needs good info about their specific Cadillac the information is forthcoming: technical info, where to find parts, how to repair, etc.

I have no complaints with the message board contents or comments about any subject matter whatsoever, at any given time whoever is contributing, what you see is what you get.

Porter

Robt.Vonheck via SanDiego Calif.

Hello dear Mr.Porter:   --Bravo!!  Indeed, Porter knows whereof he speaks,  --the more resources the merrier as to spark-up commentary; otherwise, this oftlively forum would loose its dynamics, --via mere static-dribble such as my own!....   ~Bob vH

Randall Ayers McGrew CLC # 17963

I dont know if I would term your responses as static dribble but I do agree that eBay is a great source of so many things for this hobby, including views of cars we may not have experience with.  Case in point is that most recent post of the 1938 Cadillac four door sedan on eBay.  

Plus I have had excellent luck in finding parts and manuals for my interests on eBay that I may not have been able to find otherwise.  So while I do agree we mmay have a few too many mindless posts the source is still a good resource.

Robt.Vonheck

Porter/Randall:   -well not to belabor it to the point of being rather exemplary, but erperhaps i should have more concisely said "drivel" instead of "dribble"(as in drooling from ones mouth); -but well, you kindly caught the gist of my meaning... ~Bob vH

Al Smith

Mr. Von Heck,
Your eloquence is refreshing to say the least.
Al

Frank

If you do not know what you are doing e-bay can be disaster.  I bought my 52 Cad off e-bay from a dealer in California.  Most MISREPRESENTED vehicle I have ever seen, had to get a lawyer involved.  Seller had pictures galore.  What he said during phone conversations was that the car was BETTER than the pictures and we all know what pictures do.  

The dealer was Phil Newey Sports Cars, La Habra, CA.  E-bay can be a great source, however, it can also be your worse nightmare.

Derek

Ebay is a great resource, yes, but Ebay is not a great SUBJECT of discussion at all times.  The dictionary is great resource too, but very few people read it for pleasure instead of magazines, books, etc.

The problem has become not only the frequency of Ebay posts (I logged on today and there were three in a row about cars on Ebay) but mainly the fact that little information accompanies the post.  

Example:  Topic:  "Nice Cad on Ebay."  The only text is a link to an Ebay auction.  I dont have time or inclination to open 8,000 links and wait for all of the pictures to download just so I can see another 76 Eldorado convertible.

Another problem is that a lot of trash-talking of the sellers ends up here, and sometimes the sellers are CLC members.  One of our rules is not to post disparaging remarks about anyone, and yet this happens frequently.

Ebay discussions have replaced real, meaningful conversation on the forum.  I would rather have days where nothing is posted than days where there are a hundred replies about some dumb car auction, while people who ask questions are left unanswered because their posts have been moved down the list for lack of replies.  

I am tired of the only posts being from certain people (you know who I mean) who only post links to things.  The very least you could do is give a descriptive topic and a sentence or two of synopsis as to why the link is good.

Example:  Topic:  "Unusual 1968 Cadillac on Ebay."  Text:  "The car is Mary Kay pink with matching trim on the interior and the owner claims it was a one-off special custom ordered by Elvis."

That way people who dont have interest in it, dont waste time opening the subject at all, or going to the link hoping to see something interesting.

Two days ago I emailed Mike & Nancy Book and cancelled my CLC membership due to the declining state of this board.  People who werent here regularly three or four years ago will never understand how bad it has gotten.

Derek

I have to agree about the trash talking (hard not to get caught up in it unfortunately).  We should all know better but its human nature, and as it has been repeatedly expressed to me in so many ways, there seems to be no overcoming it.  Not because its impossible to do so, but because people do not want to.  Oh well.

I will miss Derek on this forum.  He has been invaluable for my work on my 77 Eldorado Biarritz.  Fortunately he is a friend so I will not lose him completely.

As clubs go, this is my favorite.  JJust goes to show you should not rely on one thing, group or institution completely.  :)

Robt.Vonheck

Randal & Al, -et al:   -not a bad pun Randal, Oh but but now youve started something....   Our English Language (derived from Olde-german, the German king of England,  --"Kings English"?) ...   If youve learned to speak fluent English,  you must be a genius!    This little treatise on the curious language we share is only for the brave;  -peruse at your leisure, English lovers and teachers all,  -for reasons why the English language may be so difficult for us to learn:
>
>1) The bandage wound around the wound.
>2) The farm was used to produce produce.
>3) The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
>4) We must polish the Polish furniture.
>5) He could lead if he would get the lead out.
>6) The soldier decided to desert his sour dessert in the desert.
>7) There being "no time like the present",  -he thus thought it  time to present the present.
>8) A bass fish-logo was painted on the head of the bass drum.
>9) When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
>10) I did not object to the object.
>11) The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
>12) There was a row among the row of Oarsmen about how to row.
>13) They were too close to the door to close it.
>14) The big buck does odd things when the attractive does are present.
>15) The seamstress is the sewer that objected to the  odor of the sewer line.
>16) To help with planting, the farmer taught his smart sow to help sow the new crop.
>17) The wind was strong enough to wind the sails of the Oldmill.
>18) After a number of injections my jaw got number.
>19) Seeing the tear in the painting, is enough to make one shed a tear.
>20) Without changing the subject, they had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
>21) How can one intimate this to their most intimate friend?  

One might also do well to realize that.... -------------------------------
 A.) Theres no egg in an eggplant nor ham in hamburger;   neither apple nor pine in pineapple.    English-muffins didnt originate in England, nor did French-fries originate in France.     and Sweetmeats strangely are candies,   while sweetbreads are an unsweet meat!
B.) Quicksand works slowly,  boxing rings are square, and a guinea-pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig.
C.) And why is it that writers write,  but fingers dont fing;   grocers dont groce; and hammers dont ham?
D.) If the plural of tooth is teeth,  -why isnt the plural of booth then not beeth?
E.) One goose, two geese,  thus one moose, two meese?    Doesnt it seem strange that you can make amends,   -yet not one amend.
F.) If teachers taught,  -why then didnt preachers praught?
G.) If a vegetarian eats vegetables,  -indeed then a humanitarian eats humans?
H.) In what language do people recite at a play and play at a recital?    
I.) People can actually have noses that run,   -and feet that smell?
J.) We ship by truck, -while sending cargo by ship?  
K.) If you have a bunch of odds and ends as above,  --then get rid of all but one of them,  what do you call it?   --Is it an odd, or an end?  
L.) French-explorer Cadillac would have been astonished to drive a Cadillac bearing a facsimile-Logo of his family Heraldry!
 (Hey, -although not quite succinct, just thought ide throw this last one in for its aptness!)...

Bil Bitel

It is very unfortunate that you took your distaste for Ebay postings  to the extreme and have decided to leave the CLC. Would it have not been easier just not to click on and open the offending Ebay posts? We are all entitled to our own opinions and I for one enjoy the Ebay posts. It provides invaluable information to some of us. A few months ago someone posted a link to an auction for a Talisman, I saw for the first time pictures of a Talisman with air bags. The seller had also provided scans of the original brochures from Cadillac. I do not think I will ever get to see something like that in person.

You had also suggest that posts go unanswered due to a high volume of new posts. I would advise all members take the time to review the last 2-3 pages of posts. Sometimes things get bumped, that’s the nature of onlone forums.

Robt.Vonheck

Dear Derek:   -you make a really excellent point about the importance of courteously/thoughtfully providing a hint in the Subject-box as to the essence of their Topic, --but why go to the extreme of "throwing the baby out with the bath-water" by abandoning us;  --why not remain a valued participating member, in as much as the above suggestion you offer is something that would definitely be a constructive improvement to our respective "Forum-decorum" so to speak, ---------while i trust we will all now endeavor to follow your sincere advise....  "BY BETTER DEFINING OUR TOPIC-HEADERS"    
~Bob vH

Mark

"Two days ago I emailed Mike & Nancy Book and cancelled my CLC membership due to the declining state of this board. People who werent here regularly three or four years ago will never understand how bad it has gotten." (Derek)

If his only complaint were the "declining state of this board" why would Derek cancel his Club membership?  Perhaps Dereks membership was at its expiration and he chose not to renew.  But to cancel mid-year would lead me to think that there was some other underlying cause.  

If Derek only had disagreement with the state of the Message Forum it is as easy as not to log on but to still be able to enjoy the camaraderie of the Club through the Self Starter and Regional events.  

It is a shame to lose a member - it would be beneficial to all to determine if there were another cause.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

I agree with Porter on this, but even if I didnt, it wouldnt matter to me.  I have discovered cars and information I wouldnt have otherwise when I scan the message board including the Ebay items (its the first thing I check when I log on to the internet). I read the items that are of interest to me and skip the others, the same procedure I use when I go to an auto show,Barnes and Noble, the library, and Wal-Mart or run through old cars on Ebay.  If I begin to read something I thought would interest me and it doesnt, I just go on to something else and leave that item for someone else to enjoy or ignore.  I subscribe to XM satellite radio and listen to about 10 channels regularly;that leaves about 100 more that I couldnt care less about, but I still enjoy the service. All this, I think, just proves that the world is made up of people who have varied interests and todays world is designed for just such people. Im sorry the club is losing Derek over the Message Board; many of us were members years before we had computers and the club had the Board and Im sure most of that group would continue to belong to the CLC if the Board ceased to exist.

And at times, Mark, you simply lose interest.  There may be no immediate or obvious reason other than it has simply played out for that person.  Been there many times.  

Porter

I recently picked up a 67 CDV and posted an eBay 67 Calais/CDV, I was curious about this car, had Ralph Messina decode the trim plate and posted his findings for all to see.

Just a Calais with CDV scripts. Im no expert on these old Cadillacs so for me it was a learning experience. I spent my younger days as a Corvette expert with the fact books, etc.

I find the pictures a handy reference and store many of them for the same year Cadillacs I have.

Much of this collector car hobby is about authenticity, Im no advocate of the message board becoming an eBay Cadillac critique society but if an interesting car comes up with fictious claims there are enough experts here to debunk those claims, usually the factual information on the alleged rare car is stated as such, therefore I gain valuable authentic Cadillac information.

Many post are about "what is this Cadillac worth" ? the authenticity , mileage, condition etc. are all required to determine a fair or actual market value.

I have yet to see anyone "wanting" for technical drivetrain or electrical info, where to get parts, etc.

I too find some posts not in my interest or petty and argumentative so I stay out of them.

Hopefully I occasionally have some good info of use to somebody, as rare as that occasion may be. Mostly 66 CDV stuff.

Best regards to all Cadillac aficionados of all shapes, fins , engines, sedans, coupes, convertibles, limos, phaetons, custom, etc. , whether a lowly model or a rare example, they are all Cadillacs, our preferred brand.

Porter

Mike #19861

Too bad, Derek.

I have stated at least a couple of times that all the e-bay posts here are more or less taking over. Our critique of them can be and is often educational, but it is becoming too much of a so-called good thing. It is becoming like reality TV. At first there was a mild curiosity, but now it has become all encompassing and in many cases downright annoying.

Again, should we not have a separate forum for this?

For the most part I simply ignore them, but once in a while a description catches my interest and Ill at least take a look. It rarely goes beyond that. But usually, the extra window just slows my machine down even more.

Again, it is too bad that you have chosen to abandon a good thing for what I hope is a passing interest. This forum really goes beyond that. The information passed on here is very educational, weather or not it has a direct use to you.  More things learned about our favourite marque that perhaps we would not otherwise have a chance of knowing.

Also, the comraderie here is wonderful. Some recent posts notwithstanding. I have met some good friends here, you included, that I would not have had a chance of getting to know otherwise.

We will miss you here, and I do hope that in the future, you will reconsider.

Mike

Derek

I can shed some light on this.  As a member in south-central PA, I am at least two hours from any regional events, the closest active regions to me being the Valley Forge Region in PA, and the Lower Chesapeake Region in MD.  Most if not all of my interaction with other club members comes through the message forum; indeed, aside from a few articles written for the Self-Starter, and my founding the HT4100 Chapter, it has really been my only direct link to the club.

Years ago when I got my first Cadillac I was so impressed with the politeness, help, and genuine interest in others that I found here on the board, I joined on the strength of that alone, knowing that I would most likely NOT be involved in any of the in-person events due to their distance and my schedule.  Six Cadillacs later, I am still a dues-paying member and still around the board despite the many changes that have, for the most part, improved it.  At one time I had plans of eventually becoming a lifetime member and have stayed in the club until recently with that goal in mind.

The board has been my best method of staying involved in the club and quite frankly, it has gotten to be so pointless, I rarely come here at all except out of boredom, or when prompted by other members via email ("hey, look at this post about fixing a convertible top, etc.")

My membership was good through October of 2005 but I decided "Why wait for it to expire?"  January is a good time as any to evaluate ones life and remove clutter, etc.

I do receive and like the Self-Starter and even having written several articles for it, I find that the majority of the material is irrelevant to me as a young man unable to afford pre-war cars, which are the main focus of the club.  So while I will miss that somewhat, I can honestly say that most issues come to my mailbox and are skimmed at best or left unread entirely due to their lack of content material that would help me as an owner of mostly late 1960s (68+) to 1980s Cadillacs.  

Also the general mood of the board has declined and there are a lot of anonymous non-members or people who do not adhere to the rules anymore at all.  For the record, identity theft is a poor reason not to include your last name or CLC #  (a common courtesy!) when posting.  I did this with every post for years now, but since no one else really obeys the rules, why waste the extra time typing those extra characters.

Regards,

Derek

Derek

Bill,

Its simple not to open the Ebay posts, and honestly, I dont open them anymore.  My complaint is that the level of discourse here has degenerated due to the posts and subsequently Ebay has become the only prompt for discussion.  

You make a good point, members should endeavor to check out the last few pages of posts.  I am not fretting things getting bumped due to frequency of other responses as much as I am bothered by how many good people have left quietly because of so little information being shared about other subjects.

For example, a good friend and CLC member who owns both a  55 and a 75 Cadillac, and who used to post quite regularly, recently told me in a phone conversation that he had stopped coming around the forum back when the "Dale Jackson" saga started.  An example of how one frequent annoyance poster can really detract from the whole experience.  Since then he has made a few attempts to come back and get into the swing of things again, but each time he asks technical questions, they go unanswered in favor of the Ebay posts and the "shanghaing" and other silliness.

With the exception of a few good mechanical members, very little of the discourse anymore involves solving problems; I doubt I could get advice on how to troubleshoot an electrical problem, but there are literally dozens of people hanging around who will banter on and on about irrelevant stuff to the exclusion of Cadillac discussion.  

Any time I bring this up, people act like I am saying that the Emperor has no clothes.  There is a lot of mindless cheerleading for the board, the club, etc., but no willingness to address issues that could make things better.

Come on, doesnt anyone else see this but me?  

Derek

Derek

Your analogy to radio stations is good, however, imagine if every time you turned on that station, it was playing the same song every ten minutes.

Now you have a picture of what I see when I surf by the message board and find 50 Ebay posts or Ebay-related threads every morning.

Like a dysfunctional family, it has become easier to sit at the dinner table in silence than to raise a discussion.  Or, a better picture, it seems like some people cant stand silence, and so they are always trying to stir up discussion.  Ebay has taken the place of important discussion by just being a "check this out" quick-fix to get replies.  

It used to be that if I logged on and found no new posts since the last time I had visited, it was not a big deal.  However, I guess some members would prefer to always be hopping with new posts, and Ebay has proven invaluable for generating these things.

Why discuss matters that are of no importance at all?  We all know that people dont know what theyre talking about sometimes when they sell a car on Ebay; we all know that ridiculous lies are told every day in auctions, etc.  But we dont all go stand around the car lot to point and laugh when the salesman is schmoozing some poor sucker into buying a new car with untruths.  Thats basically what Ebay is -- pointing and laughing at the ill-informed, the uneducated, those with questionable intentions.  Its only funny for so long.

Regards,

Derek