News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Generator to alternator conversion

Started by Lynn Conway=clc #21641, January 07, 2005, 07:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynn Conway=clc #21641

Hello fellow Cadillac enthusiasts !

Currently working on restoring a 1957 CDV and had a query/question for any information on converting the generator to an alternator.

Right now the car isnt being driven as the front end is getting overhauled, only started periodically. We seem to be getting a lot of battery drain in between starts, even though we have a cut-off switch on the battery terminal. The battery is relatively new, and the wires seem to be in good shape. We do activate the cut-off switch after each start and re-engage it when we are trying to start it.  Wondering if the problem may stem from the generator.   The generator recently had the brushes replaced.

Has anyone had experience with this type of conversion ?   Any pros or cons to take into consideration ?

Appreciate any insight or comments.

Lynn Conway
CLC # 21641

Jeff Maltby #4194

Lynn. Check out http://www.gener-nator.com TARGET=_blank>www.Gener-Nator.com

An alternator design inside the "Oem Delco Cadillac/GM Generator".

One Slick system for 12 volt Caddes.

Enjoy and Hi Porter.....

:<)

JIM CLC # 15000

01-08-04
Lynn, sounds like you have "corroded,internal" battery cables.
The cables can look good and still be bad.
Or else a bad battery.
Good Luck, Jim

Paul W Allen

I agree that the Gener-Nator is a neat set up, but the price is sky high. Over $700.00.

Paul
53 Coupe
Dynaflow

Tim Lewis

Hi, I converted my 59 Fleetwood to an alternator about 15 years ago.  I had a 35 amp Delco upgraded to 60 amps (by changing the stator).  I built a simple bracket to mount it in the stock location.  It has an internal regulator, so wiring was simple. (it is not a one wire design)  Works great for me, never had a problem.

Tim

Ed Mobley

Unless you go with the Gener-nator mentioned in another post, an alternator really detracts from the underhood appearance (just like using an A-6 A/C compressor in place of an A-5 does).

I rebuilt my generator using new field coils and sealed bearings.  So far Ive had no problems with battery drain.  You may want to get your battery tested as it is not unheard of to get a defective one when new.

Ed

John Washburn

Lynn,

Your on your own about converting to an Alternator. But the Generator will not drain the battery unless it is shorted then you would know about it instantly.

You need to check to see what is draining the battery because it will still happen if you install a alternator.

The obviouse things to check are the glove box light is the glove box closed all the way? Interior lights? Trunk Lights? Stop lights? The voltage regulator (this is a real stretch)?If it is none of these start removing the fuses to see if you can isolate the problem.

Good Luck

John Washburn
CLC #1067
Elilzabeth, Colorado

Joe G CLC 12138

FYI; The G.M. 1 wire alternator causes a WORSE battery drain than a generator.And its designed that way. Take a look at a wiring schematic from any 60s or 70s Cadillac shop manual that uses them. You will see a current path from the positive terminal, through the wire to the output terminal of the alternator, which is jumpered to the 2 wire connection to the terminal on the internal voltage regulator. from there the current goes through various resistive paths to.....ground! Doesnt matter if the car runs or sits. Usually  current is about 3 1/2 milliamps. But it goes on hour after hour, day after day. until your batterys dead, UNLESS YOU DRIVE the car regularly like G.M. intended us to do. Open up a shop manual; take a look!

Lynn Conway=clc #21641

Thanks for all the replies.  Many good suggestions that Im sure will help isolate the problem.

Lynn