News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Why does my 72 Eldo chew up bearings?

Started by Scott Bard, January 10, 2005, 10:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Bard

Do you know why my 72 Eldo would chew up the left front wheel bearing in less than 2000 miles.  I picked up a new hub last year and had new bearings pressed into it.  Just got it inspected last week and my mechanic said the wheel was loose again.  These hubs are not easy to come by and Im losing patience with an otherwise excellent car.  

Anyone know the answer?

Thanks.

Mike #19861

The two most likely reasons for failure at such a low mileage are either a defective bearing assembly, or improper installation techniques.

The shop manual outlines very specific procedures and cautions for the replacement of the bearing. It also requires the use of special tools to ensure proper installation. Also, it states that the bearing is supplied as a matched set and should be installed as such.

I would suggest that the maunuals procedures be adhered to, and to use a good quality bearing to ensure long life of the bearing. In this case, I would think it a good idea to find a dealer with the proper tools, and a technician that is familiar with the procedure. I know that this may be somewhat difficult for a 30+ year old car, but may provide the best results.

Mike

Randall Ayers McGrew CLC # 17963

I second MIkes advice here.  I found a guy at a Just Brakes in south Denver who is a long time line mechanic on GM cars.  He knew not only the car, in this case a 1972 Eldorado and a 1977 Eldorado, but also what had to be done to keep the front axles working, plus the minute tricks that many non-GM trained and experienced mechanics might not know.  They are out there.  Another place I found one such mechanic was at my local Meinike!  Now the one down the street is hopeless.  Basically, I ask...I schmooze and get to know the mechanics in my area.  It takes time but it pays off in the end.  

After getting the 72 done, Jonathan (my son) has had no problems with his car or the bearings, or those twice damned axle boots.  Good luck!