News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

tire balancing revisited

Started by Lynn 10923, January 13, 2005, 05:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynn 10923

Has anyone ever heard of these things, or know anything about them?

http://centramatic.com/New_Catalog/300series.php TARGET=_blank>http://centramatic.com/New_Catalog/300series.php

Ive only learned about them recently. They are automatic tire balancing devices, and in their outer ring they have essentially oil and lead shot for weight. As a tire spins, the weight will shift itself around until the tire is balanced. Liquid will find its own balance like this. It appears they are mostly designed for heavy duty vehicles, but they have a set that would fit larger passenger cars. The idea sounds good, but do they really work as described? Assuming they do, once one got past the initial cost, they would provide the ultimate balance. And one wouldnt have to find the special wheel weights that dont interfere with the wheelcovers.

Speaking of those special wheel weights, I recently came across an old box of them, but the box is labeled Mopar wheel weights. Theyre exactly the same style as the ones on my Cadillac wheels. I didnt know Mopar also used wheel covers that needed these kind of wheel weights. I wonder on what, and for how long. The only Mopar Ive ever owned was a 74 Duster, and it didnt need them.

BTW, have yall heard the backyard shade tree (very shady) mechanics way of shortening a driveshaft? Cut the rear yoke off, and cut the tube to length. Then before welding the yoke back on, throw a couple quarts of oil in the tube and call it balanced. Again, a liquid will find it own balance in a thing like this. Ive never done this, Ive never seen it done, and I wouldnt recommend it. But one can bet its been done somewhere. LOL

Lynn

Tod - North TX CLC

I cant believe it!!  As soon as I saw your description, an old memory came back.  My first car was a used 1968 Plymouth Fury II.  When I got it, it had bald tires that had to be replaced.  When the wheels came off, behind them were these shot/oil filled rings, much like the ones you found.

I had the new tires balanced, and threw the self balancing rings in the trunk, where they remained during my ownership of the car.  Did they work?  Well, I only know that the wheels had no weights on them when I got the car, so, I can only say maybe.

By the way, that Plymouth was a lousy car