News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Need new top for 76 Eldo

Started by Ross DeVore, January 17, 2005, 03:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross DeVore

Looking for advise regarding replacing my original top. The power windows are also starting to give me problems as I have to help one of them up all the way. Please give me you sage advise, cautionary tales, etc. It is all much appreciated.

Regards,

Ross DeVore #21573

Brian Rachlin

Ross,

I have had many convertibles over the years, all purchased used, so I have had LOTS of tops replaced in my day.

1970 Deville (3 of them, all gone)
1976 Eldo    (3 of them, have 1 currently)
1985 Eldo    (2 of them, only did 1 top, needs to be done again)
1968 Skylark Convertible (gone)
1948 Packard Convertible (gone)
1951 Packard Convertible (gone)

I like Electron tops for their quality, and you need to go to an experienced trim shop for doing your Eldo.  Make sure that you know the reputation of the shop, even if you have to go to the local Caddy dealer and seek out an older mechanic to check out who they used to use in the area.

Dont go for a cheap top, dont take the lowest price for the top or the install, and LET THE TRIM SHOP ORDER AND SUPPLY THE TOP.  Dont go in there with a top you bought from Ebay or some other internet source.  Its like bringing your own eggs to the diner, you will get the cook mad at you! If you supply the top and you dont like the job or the fit, they will always blame you and "your top", never them or "their" installation.

Replace the back window, well, and pads, and the silencer above the front seat.  If your car doesnt have the silencer, and the trim shop doesnt remember what it is, go elsewhere.

Chances are if your car is a garaged, pampered car, this will be the only top you will ever need, unless it gets damaged.

Also, black tops seem to hold up better than the white ones for some reson.  I dont understand it because black absorbs the sunlight more, gets hotter, but they do seem to last longer.

Make sure that ALL of the moving parts get cleaned and lubed.  If you remove your interior trim panels and clean and lube the window tracks, and re-lubricate them, your windows will work better.  You could also try spraying CRC on the tracks, which you may be able to see with the window down.

Good Luck,

Brian

Brian Rachlin

Stampie,

I agree. thats a great page.  Here is a tip for those of you who may not know how to do this...
If you are using Internet Explorer for your browser (highly likely), you can save any webpage complete with all photos and links by simply clicking on "File" and "Save as".

I have a large folder called "Saved HTML" on my C drive, and all ebay purchases, and reference links and pages.  That way I can always remember what I paid for stuff, and sometimes linkls dissapear, but I have the page anyway.

Thanks,

Brian