News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Glass Bowl fuel filters 50s 60s

Started by Michael Stamps 19507, January 22, 2005, 08:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Stamps 19507

Recently I had the pleasure (horror after seeing the spray) of chipping the glass fuel filter on my 60.  I found some on ebay but once I got them they are too long.  My orginal has the AC logo with a cross on the bottom.  These new ones have the AC logo with a circle on the bottom and are 3/4 inch longer.  Does anyone know what application (Corvette or Cadillac) these are for?

Thanks,
Stampie

Steve Crum 20999

Let me take a look in some of the John Deere parts catalogs and post on the JD board. Most of the early new gen tractors gas and diesel used this type of AC fuel pump. Heck if I look around I probably have one!

Michael Stamps 19507

Thanks Steve,
  The orginal is about 1.5 inchs tall while the other ones I have are 2.25 tall.

Stampie

Steve Crum 20999

Stampie,
Check at your local Tractor Supply Co. store, Im told they stock these in three different sizes.

Michael Stamps 19507

Well I have a temp replacement working right now.  I just want an orginal to be able to put it back to stock.  Would they have the correct markings?

Thanks,
Stampie

John Washburn

Stampie,

The early T-Birds had the longer glass bowl (AC). But I was glad to here about the tractor connection.

If you cant find one Ill send one. Ive got a few spares.

Remember the oxygenated fuel (MTBE, ETBE, or TAME) will degrade old rubber, especially fuel lines like the 30R7. So finding new gaskets for the glass bowl that are resistant to alcohol will help a lot.

John Washburn
CLC #1067

Michael Stamps 19507

Thanks for the offer John.  I found a corvette (Porter should be proud of me) one with the same part number for the base as what I have.  The only problem is his glass doesnt have the AC logo.  It has all the other markings.  His is supposed to be NOS so Im wondering what the markings were like from the factory.

I got a stack of cork gaskets in my first ebay deal but not sure if they should be used or not.  Another thing I noticed while looking at my cracked one today was the fuel filter wasnt doing any filtering.  The base has a hole to place the fuel inside the filter then it goes through the filter and is pumped to the carb from the glass side of the filter.  Well my filter didnt fit into the hole correctly so there was 1/8 inch gap between it and the inlet.  That would allow all the fuel to bypass the filter.  Something to think about if you guys have replaced the filter with an aftermarket one.

Stampie