News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

How to remove the metal trim from the windshield,on a 1946 Cadillac?

Started by John Peterson CLC# 20620, January 27, 2005, 10:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Peterson CLC# 20620

I want to replace both front windsheilds on a 1946 Cadillac. How do I remove the stainless steel trim without bending it?
Where do I buy the new window gasket? Is the new window gasket leak free, or is best to seal it with RTV?
Any help would be appreciated.
John

Bill Ingler CLC 7799

Hi John-Several years ago I asked that same question of Jack Hoffman and this is what he told me to do to take off the trim on my 47 Convert. First gently pry off the outside vertical center SS molding. It snaps over the rubber vertical windshild gasket. Start prying from top to bottom on one side only of the molding until the center molding comes loose. I used a small tack remover tool for prying. Then get a small piece of soft wood about 6 inches long and with a small hammer start tapping the stainless trim at the top and bottom of your outside vertical closed section of each half of the trim starting in the middle outside working up to the top corner then down to the bottom always tapping towards the center of the car.Keep alernating your taps on the trim. Remember that trim and the rubber seal under the trim have been there a long time and it will take some gentle tapping on the wood so you don`t damage the trim. You want that whole U shaped trim to start sliding towards the center of the windshield. It will start sliding towards the center and at some point when the outside edge of the trim gets close to center of the windshield , you will be able to remove the trim. Just take your time and it will start to slide. Steele Rubber has the windshield gaskets you need listed in their catalog. Have fun as this is one of those jobs that definitly calls for a beer after your success on removal of the trim.

Bill Ingler CLC 7799

John- I forgot to answer the last part of your thread. You will need to use sealent as illustrated and talked about in the GM body manual for your car. The seals you get from Steele are ok but I still found the main windshield gasket still needed to be trimed slightly on the ends to get it to fit in the windshield opening of the car. I suggest after you get the large glass windshield gasket from Steele you fit each half of the windshield glass in the gasket, lay the whole thing out flat for several days, letting the rubber gaskets bends get use to the windshield glass. The gasket will have folds when it comes from Steele and this is why it is best to let it lay flat.

Harry Scott (4195)

Bill, I tried the method described when removing the windshield from my 41. I dont think it had ever been removed and the rubber was rock solid. I ended up using a utility knife to cut the windshield and then the rubber holding the stainless. Once that was out I cut the pieces from the stainless. Im not a beer drinker, but Jack was a good substitute.