News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Bucket seats in 1966

Started by Brad Hemingson, January 31, 2005, 10:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Hemingson

I have seen both hi-back and low back buckets in 66 Cadillacs. My Eldorado has low backs. Are the hi-backs basically a low back with a headrest and can a conversion be done? Also, I have heard of but never seen a reclining option on the passenger seat for hi-back equipped cars. Does such a thing exist?

Lars Kneller #8246

I think the "high back" buckets have the optional headrests.  2 doors came with buckets that tilt forward, and four doors came with ones that are fixed. I can check my authenticity manual draft to see if the recliner was an option if you wish (I dont remember off the top of my head).  Email me if youd like.

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Brad,

The high back buckets were called “Strato Bucket Seats”. I believe all Eldorado buckets were this style. The Strato seat frame is the same for all Toronado, Riviera and Eldorado models from ‘66 through ’70. (And, possibly in some years of the Monte Carlo and GP.) Beginning in ’67 all Cadillac buckets were Strato style in which the seat back frame has an additional cross bar and the seat locking mechanism. Only the Strato style uses the triangular cross section head rest. The reclining seat was an extra cost option on the passenger side only of the Strato seat. It’s about as comfortable as a broken beach chair.
The low back seat frame was used for ’66 non Eldorado and earlier bucket styles.
HTH,

Ralph

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Brad,

I’m going to take back my comment about the ’66 bucket seat frame. I can’t verify it by the parts book, and all the seat back shells looks like the Eldorado style. Knowing GM’s mass production propensity, it’s seems likely the seat frames are the same for all ’66 models, with just the seat padding and contour changing with the upholstery style.

Ralph