News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1947 Heater hose connections

Started by David Leger CLC#19256, February 07, 2005, 09:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Leger CLC#19256

Hi Folks,

Can anyone tell me how the heater hoses on a 47 with underseat heaters all connect up?  The mechanic working on the car skipped town, so I am working a bit in the dark as to what connects to what.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Bill Ingler CLC 7799

Hi David--   Lets start from the rear water outlet on the left cylinder head. A short length of 5/8 heater hose is connected from that outlet to a copper cross over pipe which goes across the back of the engine, back of the connecting exhaust manifold, to the right rear side of the engine. This pipe is held in place by two clamps which are held by the rear studs of the cross over manifold. The right end of this pipe is connected to the bottom outlet pipe of the defroster by a piece of 5/8 heater hose.Heater hose is connected to the top outlet pipe of the defroster and loops down past the right rear cylinder head. The hose is held as it goes by the cylinder head by a clamp that is inturn held under the bottom of the last head bolt of the right cylinder head. This hose continues on down and lays close to top of the right top frame rail. Also at this point, the hose is held by a double hose clamp as this clamp also holds the return heater hose from the right heater. The hose from the defroster after the double hose clamp now goes about another 8 inches to another double hose clamp bolted through the floor near the transmission then that hose makes a cross over and is connected to the front connection of the drivers floor heater core. Another hose goes from the rear connection of drivers heater core to the rear connection of the passenger side heater core. The return heater hose is connected to the front outlet of the passenger heater core, goes through both double clamps and then lays on the top of the right frame rail to the water pump. The return hose is connected to a shut off valve which inturn is screwed into the bottom right side of the water pump. Most 46 and 47 cars have lost the cylinder head clamp. This clamp usually disappered the first time the heads came off the engine. Some cars were lucky and retained the double clamps for the heater hose. I hope this lengthy explanation helps. If you need any pictures, please let me know.  Bill

David Leger CLC#19256

Thanks Bill, this is great!  Ill go through this when I am back out at the car this weekend, and let you know if I need some pictures.

Dave