News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Rechroming Sabre Wheels

Started by James E. Conkwright, February 08, 2005, 02:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James E. Conkwright

Hi. Im looking to buy a set of chrome sabre wheels for my 58 convertible. I have come across several sets but they seem to all have pitting. Has anyone had their sabre wheels replated? I know its a complicated process. I would appreciate any input.

Thanks,
James Conkwright
Ky-Tn Region CLC
Director

Roger A. Zimmermann #21015

Hi James!
I did that for my 56 Biarritz. You are right, its a lot of work and its expensive.
First, you have to let remove the steel rim from the aluminum part. I tryed to do it myself, but the separation of both parts requires a suitable equipment; I gave my wheels to a known company.
Then, the aluminum parts can be dechromed. The next step was to remove enough aluminum to get a pore free surface. I did that with a small machine with a flexible shaft and small milling cutters. As the surface is rather rough after this treatment, I used flexible files to improve the surface. When satisfied, it was a matter of sanding and polishing. I had between 40 and 100 hours of work PER wheel!
Then came the story of the chrome. As a friend of mine had good results with a company in the USA, I let ship just one wheel over there (Im living in Switzerland). When the wheel came back, the chrome at the back of the wheel was already peeling! All the expenses for nothing!
By chance, I found  a company in Switzerland who was willing to try. They had to fabricate a device to be sure that the chrome would go to and between the spokes.
The results were excellent, the price too! Unfortunately, that company does not exist anymore.
Then, I had to take the steel parts (after sanding and painting) and the chrome parts to the first company for assembly. They managed to keep the chrome intact; the painted steel parts were not so nice after that treatment! So, back again to the paint process...
At the end, I had to make sure that the rivets would be leak free; I added some silicone on the inner part of the wheels.
The work was done in 1993; the wheels are still nice today. The costs? about $ 3000.00 for 5 wheels, without my own work.
There is an alternative, much cheaper: another friend of mine let paint his weels gold, to have almost the same effect as the original gold Sabre wheels. I dont know if the removal of the chrome is necessary to let paint the wheels.
Good luck!

Roger

Rhino 21150

I would take that as a "NO"! It sounds like it would be cheaper to let someone like Wheel Vintiques make copies.

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

James,

In the early 90’s I restored a ’57 Eldorado with chrome Sabres. After a bad experience with a company in Los Angeles, I found “Wire Wheel Corp.” 704 H Street, Fresno Ca. (209) 268-8270. The owner’s name was Ryan, and he fixed my damaged wheels and restored the chrome face plates. I had the car for 7 years after that and the wheels still looked beautiful. The cost was about $325/wheel and I didn’t have to any prep work. They were set up for the total operation including the custom plating electrodes. I don’t know if they are still in the business. I was told they may have been bought out by the company that has become Vintique.

HTH,
Ralph

Dirk Van Dorst 16894

Roger......
There is a company here in Holland who can do the job.......
Mine are just finished @ 2500 Euro  (all 5 )   , taken out/bring back the rivets is done by a VW shop......same system as the Porsche Fuchs wheels
If you have friends looking for a special crome job .....email me , i help you out.
Gruss , Dirk Van Dorst
Belgium

Robt.Vonheck -via SunDiego Calif.

Jim et al:   --belive youall are off in the wrong direction on this effort, owing that these oem/aluminum-wheels were actually Anodized NOT Chromed at all;  --so simply take them to one of many usa-based Anodizing-shops, and ask for a quote on either gold / silver / or even black re-anodizing!!  Recall that my Dad felt the Gold-anodized look on his then new 56/Eldo-Seville(white, red-leather interior) were to garish, -so he had the dealer swap-on a new set of Classic/Wire-spoke wheels, -which really were more befitting the styling of the car...
~Bob vH

Roger A. Zimmermann

Hi Dirk!
My experiences with platers is so bad that I prefer sometimes do the preparation work myself. After all, its a hobby and even if my way is not all the time the cheapest one, I cannot blame others for deficiences on jobs I did myself.
Anyway, your offer sounds good. I bought yesterday a spare Sabre wheel. If I intend to restore it, I will contact you. I admit that I dont need to do the same work again!

Roger

Joe Abernathy #17524

James,
I e-mailed you about this topic, but Valley Wire Wheel in CA. did a beautiful job on my 57s.  They have the special anodes that it takes to get the chrome into all the spokes.  They also did all the work as far as removing and replacing the rivets etc.  They charged me $675 per wheel and that included new late model rims so I can run radials on them.  Just be prepared to wait.  He dosent get in a hurry!

Good luck,
Joe

Roger A. Zimmermann #21015

Hi Bob!
You are right and wrong! Gold color wheels were anodized; but chrome wheels are really chrome plated! I bought recently an used original one; its chrome on it. The ones on my convertible were real bad looking; it was chrome also, and they were not replated!
Even if the terminology may be misleading, have a look at the parts book, group 22.0010: there are 2 types of wheels: "Alum., Turbine type, Chromium plated" or "Alum., Gold finish, Turbine type"

Hello from Switzerland
Roger