News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1976 Eldorado

Started by Ed Breen, February 11, 2005, 10:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Breen

I inherited a 1976 Eldorado. Its a long story but the car was "lost," kept in a car warehouse for 20 years. It only has 7,000 original miles. The front fender plastic is a little faded but the original paint and leather is excellent. When I registered it two years ago, I replaced all the rubber, got new white walls and a new battery. I replaced the hear exchanger. Then I put in a new stereo. The 8-Track worked and I had a box of Louis Armstrong, Count Bassie, Sanatra, and a bunch of Elvis Bootlegs. I got a kick out of driving around and playing the the 8-Tracks loud and tinny but the old tapes kept braking and I dont have time to go to flea markets and buy more. So, the new stereo. I put it in the glove compartment so that you cant see any change to the dash. The 8-Track still works but the local stero guru tells me I need to but new 10 ohm speakers from Beverly Hills auto to make it enjoyable, so I just leave it turned off. The new stereo is great, it plans CDs and I set it up for IPOD plug in. I also replaced the convertible roof motor, but the first time I used the new motor it broke the year window. Im looking for someone who can replace the window, with the defrost and all. The rag roof is in great shape but a friend told me I should replace it anyway when I do the window. The car runs great. I drove it in a parade full of cheerleaders and it was a big hit. My kids love it, but my wife thinks it takes up too much space. Heres my question. Does anyone have an idea what this car may be worth. I have never seen one of these with low milage so I dont know how to price it. My follow up question is, do you think I should tell my wife tough, Im keeping it for another twenty years, or do you think I should sell it.

Johnny

[Heres my question. Does anyone have an idea what this car may be worth. I have never seen one of these with low milage so I dont know how to price it. My follow up question is, do you think I should tell my wife tough, Im keeping it for another twenty years, or do you think I should sell it.]

First and foremost...KEEP IT...KEEP IT...KEEP IT!!!!!!! and also join the Cadillac LaSalle Club, if you arent already a member, you will find it invaluable.  If my wife game me a choice of her or the Eldorado, all I can say is that I would miss her LOL. Seriously, let the car do the convincing, get it all detailed out, then take her out in it.  See how great it is to go out on a Sat. night to dinner at a nice restaurant, or a nice day trip in warm weather with the top down.  Get her involved with the car.  Get vanity plates with her name on them, or something like "HERELDO"

As for price.  I guess you know that the 76 Eldos, were supposed to be the last convertibles made in America, and as such were thought to be future collectibles.  If you do an online search you will get a good idea of current prices.  A ballpark would be in the  $8000-$15000 range, much less then you would pay for a new car, without all the luxury and comfort.

Steve Preston #16375

As an owner of a 76 Eldo convertible, I say KEEP IT! I agree, get the wife involved. We bought ours in Florida last summer and made the trek home to Vegas. What a great trip and we had more fun together than wed had in years.

With some TLC it is a great road car not to mention people giving us the thumbs up all the time on the local streets. Ill be glad to assist in anyway I can with repairs and/or parts info.

Heres my web that Ive started about our Mr. Eldo:

http://home.mindspring.com/~76ldo/index.html TARGET=_blank>http://home.mindspring.com/~76ldo/index.html

Brian Rachlin

Keep the car!!!

I had one in the late 1970s and I sold it when I bought my first house in 1981.  It took me until 2004 to find another black one with a red interior that was almost as nice...
Click below to see it...
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/big_eldorado/ TARGET=_blank>http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/big_eldorado/
(I started this group when I bought the car...)

These cars are a huge bargain, easily found in great condition for $8,000 to $15,000.  A rock solid investment, and a lot of fun for the $$$.

The old car hobby is good clean family fun, and your car will most certainly appreciate in value as you enjoy it.

KEEP THE CAR!

Regards,

Brian