News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Conversion from weekend car to daily driver

Started by Bob, February 12, 2005, 11:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob

Im thinking about converting my weekend 84 Eldorado (its been replaced with an 85 Biarritz) with 49K to a daily driver.  I would be putting 750 highway miles per week on the car.  Mechanically it runs great, however, I have had it for 7 years and only put 2,000 miles on it. Do you think the car will explode from going from a trailer queen to a workhorse? (I know, its really a donkey, but I love it!)  I tried unsuccessfully to sell it; received offers at less than $1,000, therefore then I plan on driving it until I take it to its final resting place.

Bob

Quote from: BobIm thinking about converting my weekend 84 Eldorado (its been replaced with an 85 Biarritz) with 49K to a daily driver.  I would be putting 750 highway miles per week on the car.  Mechanically it runs great, however, I have had it for 7 years and only put 2,000 miles on it. Do you think the car will explode from going from a trailer queen to a workhorse? (I know, its really a donkey, but I love it!)  I tried unsuccessfully to sell it; received offers at less than $1,000, therefore then I plan on driving it until I take it to its final resting place.

Johnny

Quote from: Bob
Quote from: BobIm thinking about converting my weekend 84 Eldorado (its been replaced with an 85 Biarritz) with 49K to a daily driver.  I would be putting 750 highway miles per week on the car.  Mechanically it runs great, however, I have had it for 7 years and only put 2,000 miles on it. Do you think the car will explode from going from a trailer queen to a workhorse? (I know, its really a donkey, but I love it!)  I tried unsuccessfully to sell it; received offers at less than $1,000, therefore then I plan on driving it until I take it to its final resting place.

Wow you are going from about 300 miles a year to twice that much a week!  I would first advise to lay in a good supply of oil and oil filters.  High mileage would take its toll on most vehicles. I assume you know the problems associated with the HT4100 engine, so my main concern would be if you had engine failure it would be at the most inappropiate time and place, not that there is an appropiate time and place!  I would suggest doing a thorough makeover, and getting it in prime mechanical condition, and take a cell phone when you travel.

densie 20352

You might want to switch it to synthetic oil, and put a sun shade in the windshield when you park it.

-densie

Brian Rachlin

Visit the following website:

http://www.ht4100.com TARGET=_blank>http://www.ht4100.com

There is an excellent message board, and you should do a search and review the following topics:

1.  Overheating
2.  Coolant
3.  Coolant Additive
4.  Oil Change

Basically, in order to get the car as dependable as possible, you need to address some special needs as the HT4100 is definately a "special needs" engine...

Purchase fresh anti freeze, specd as safe for aluminum, and the GM coolant suppliment from a Caddy dealer.

DO NOT POWER FLUSH OR BACK FLUSH the engine, but open the radiator petcock, and drain out the old coolant, fill with water, and repeat until clear water is running out.

Drain it all out.

Put in a new thermostat.

Fill with 50/50 mix of antifreze and water.  Crush up all 6 tablets, and slowly add the powder to the radiator as you are refilling the system, and run the car with the heater on full and hi temp.  As soon as the radiator is full, drive the car for 20 minutes.

This is the best way to "seal" the cooling system.  Be diligent about doing this annually.  Stick to a 3000 mile oil change schedule.

Purchase the religious artifact of your choice and install it on the dash, and hope for the best.

I have had 4 HT4100 vehicles over the years.  Two ran strong, never had engine problems and ran well to well over 100K miles.  I still have 1 running well.

The other 2 blew up, and I did motor replacements/rebuilds on them.

50percent...Thats about the success ration that Cadillac had with these, but I didnt buy them new, so I had no warranties on the ones that blew up.

Personally, I would NOT use the car as a daily driver, but if you are resigned to do so, the HT4100 message board is a must...

Best wishes,

Brian