News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Getting little tired of overused topics.

Started by Dave MacGregor #18998, February 14, 2005, 03:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave MacGregor #18998

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to perhaps be a spoiler, especially since Ive caught myself in the past doing the same, but I am getting tired of seeing discussions that really dont go anywhere, yet take up three pages or more of replies throughout the thread.  The latest examples are of how many Cadillacs or vehicles one has, whos favorite Cadillac song they have and SUV milage.  (As of 1/27/05, I have since REFUSES to respond anymore to such meaningless threads after realizing the waste of space they create.)

When I first started reading reading the forum a little over a couple of years ago, it wasnt so bad, now its getting a little crazy.  It seems that some important issues questions are being pushed down further and further back in this pile of discussions to the point that one has to scroll a bit to get to them or click back a page or two to find it.

I hate to say it, but Im beginning to not enjoy the forum anymore.  I always used to go on for the tiny tidbits of information that is posted.  Now I have to wade through stuff to find anything useful.

I have been nonetheless visiting the forum less and less.  Tonight being the first time now in over a week.

Maybe the CLC can look into breaking down the forum into yet more categories other than the General and Buy/Sell ones we now have.  Perhaps one can be added for tips and tricks, mechanical, tires, and/or whatever else may be appropriate as a category.

Dave

Johan Boltendal 158

I can see what you are talking about,but I think there is a need
for this, else it wouldnt exist.
Perhaps its time to think about a more sophisticated forum with three in stead of two leads,for better usabilety,
we might consider the following idea, too also please our Tech only members.
A TECHNICAL QUESTION lead to the forum, way easier to read
and less surplus for those who do not want this.
In my opinion, if posssible, worth the research to investigate this idea. Johan

Robt.Vonheck via a drenched SanDiego Calif.

-what doyah think yeablokes, -i say we keelhaul the rascal!! -one or two passes will bringim around to being more sociable!  NO? --well then maybe he has a viable point, --perhaps just below where we enter our Name and E-address, but just before the Subject, the webmaster could insert a thingie whereby we are to simply fill a check-mark in one of three choices wherein it would say:  State the nature of your message:  (box)~"Tech-info",  (box)~"Help-needed", (box)~"Cadddie-chatter".  --In this way, one could see at a glance if the item is of the sort they may wish to explore;  -this way it  keeps all the messages readily viewable without having to be relegated into different forum-sections (as that becomes severely restrictive, -wasting ones time having to poke around into different forums).   Couple of weeks ago it was thoughtfully urged we try to be more concise in our Subject discription, -so that we dont waste other members time in finding out that once in-there they find the topic of no interest to them!  Maybe this simple check-the-box approach would help eliminate the need to "keelhaul" great members into submission!   --jusmy 2-centavios...   ~Bob vH

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Well, Well, Well,

I suppose that there are some topics that may appear superfluous to some, and entertainment to others, but it will make it more difficult for me to "Shanghai" threads.

Having said that, I appreciate reading ALL the content of the messages, and have learnt a lot of stuff that I didnt think I would.  

Maybe I will never get a 49 Caddy, but I know how to remove the door handles from one.   But, at least I am improving my knowledge-base, and I am happy to do that.

Knowing what vehicles people have is interesting in itself, and when I first started looking on this board, I was compiling a list of the ages of people who were corresponding, and believe me, it was interesting.

Granted, there are some topics that might seem to be in the wrong place, and I have "put my bib in" a number of times, but, living in a secluded area of the world, there are some things that I will never get to experience.

Maybe the Moderator should be "Moderating" these "Off topic" threads?

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

P.S.   The "Cars you have owned" topic must have set a record for the longest thread that had the least "movement to the right of the page".

Yann Saunders, CLC #12588

Maybe we should insist that any off-topic post should be preceded by "OT" in the subject line [like I just did], and any non-Cadillac threads marked "NC".

Perhaps some Forum member with time on his/her hands could prepare a list of topic "Codes" that we all should use as the first 2-3 letters (caps) of the subject line, e.g. "OT" (off-topic), "NC" (non-Cadillac), "TOY53" (scale-models and toys depicting 53 Cadillacs), "TECH69" {technical posting about a 69 Cadillac), "ELBRG" (Eldorado Brougham related), etc.  

This would save me from opening a lot of posts of no specific interest to me. I find also that many subject lines do not properly identify the topic of the discussion.

Johnny

Control a Message Board going off topic?????  Cant be done!!!!!  Why??????  Simply because its human nature to stray off original topics when chatting either in person or in cyberspace.  I find it ironic that someone might find it irratating because a topic is popular and takes up a lot of space.  Is it better to have less interesting threads that take up very little space?  Suggestion:  When you come to the site, click on "view new posts", and it takes you to new posts since your last visit.  Remember Message Boards are for "entertainment purposes only".

densie

Im just reminded of the wedding scene in the Monty Python and the Holy Grail movie:

Im getting tired
  HES GETTING TIRED

Im getting tired
  HES GETTING TIRED

NO, NO, YOURE NOT GONNA TELL IT LIKE THAT!  IVE HEARD ENOUGH BLOODY CADILLAC SONGS!

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Loves ya Densie,

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

David #19063

Hi Dave,

Come on lighten up...LOL!...I mean you were the first person to respond to the "NE Patriots QB sues Cadillac!" thread...

(I hope you realize that I am smiling while I write this and not upset in any way...I am hope this response doesnt bother you.)

Being that I was responsible for 2 of 3 "Meaningless" threads you mentioned...I felt compelled to respond.

The SUV one, yeah I agree with you....but I was bummed my "new" 94 Brougham had to go into the shop and I rented the Durange.  Heck, I am sorry but an 2005 anything with a small V8, overdrive, lock up convertor, fuel injection computer control, modern technology should get better mileage that 16 mpg on the highway...that mileage is as dismal as it was 30-40 years earlier with cars that were heavier, with larger displacement, no overdrive, carburators, no lock up, etc.  There is no excuse.

However, my post regarding what cars and Cadillacs you own is a valid post in my opinion.  As I am writing this, there are 80+ responses (some posted outside of this post) AND far and away the most number of different people posting, at least 60.  Many from people who I have never seen a post from, or that post on rare occassion.  THAT is a worthwhile post to get people involved.  I think many people lurk and check out the forum, but do not post.

But this is just my opinion.  

And you have a right to yours.

But, I will warn you...you might as well skip reading my "Scratch one Flat Top" response I just posted...although historically significant and not related to Cadillacs other than GM using the term "Flat Top" taken from WWII.

I believe your frustration is mainly from the current format of this forum which has multiple pages to enter, automatically pushes old subjects to the top when a new reply is made, no pictures allowed, only 20 subjects per page, but this is what we have to live with.

Seriously, if we have more than these two categories, say 5 or 10 or 20, then we will all have to open a separate page for each catagory, then open more pages in each catagory...

What a time consuming hassle thatwill be.  And less people will post.

Oh well, I will try not to post meaningless posts...I spend too much time on the computer anyway.

David

Porter 21919

Many of us cant work on their cars for a few months, then there will be more resto/repair questions/discussions.

I thought my record would never be broken, didnt last too long.

Porter

Derek J. Sherwood, ex-CLC

Thank you for posting that.  Ive been saying the same thing for months, even quit my CLC membership in mid-stream because of the state of the forum.  Nothing much changed.  Maybe if a few more people stop coming something will snap.

Thank you, Dave, for validating what I have said all along about the way the forum was deteriorating.

Derek

Never happier than when I sh*tcanned my long-held CLC membership last month.

Derek J. Sherwood, ex-CLC

No offense Bruce, but that wasnt really worth a reply.  Seriously.

Derek

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Derek,

So you have come back to impart your wisdom.

Maybe, I should have contacted Denise directly to congratulate her.   But, should she have responded either?

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV.

P.S.  No offence taken

Randall McGrew CLC # 17963

Dave, Derek, et al :

I have, as we all have, gotten tired of a forum particularly if you come to rely on it for entertainment...like a cup of coffee in the morning....and feel alienated or annoyed by the silly crap that may occur when previously it may have amused.

Take a break from it.  Visit other sites or just do something else for a while.
Of course, it could be semi-permanent, like my feelings toward the AACA forum.  That is as it is.  Believe me, the people here are the same as they were when you enjoyed it, it is simply your perspective has changed, for whatever reason.  Dont take it to heart.  We will be here when you decide to rejoin us.  Either way, you all are friends and we support your decisions.  

That is one members opinion.  :)

Andrew 10642

I agree that the silly seems to overtake the technical anymore.  We just need another forum designation.  Mercedesshop.com shopforum has a great format, never run into nontechnical questions/statements in the technical question section.

I do think we are losing valued input from the technically proficient.

Room for everybody, just need to segregate a wee bit more.

Derek, you just cant stay away!!!!!!

Youll need to start a 12 step program from the CLC!!

Rob Gerace #16100

Derek,
   I can understand your frustration on the board here.  Ive been on here for over 4 years, and I can honestly say that it is not the friendly environment that it once was.  Im one of the younger guys too, at 28, and Ive been talked down to here on several occasions.  

Ive been called a flaming liberal, simply because I feel that the environment and fuel economy are important in todays world.  Ive been told that computerized fuel injection CANNOT do as well as a carburetor with respects to emissions and economy.  Nevermind the fact that I have a M.S in Mechanical Engineering, and that my research was on combustion.  Nevermind the fact that I gave up my office job to see what its like to work as a technician.  Obviously my practical AND theoretical experience means nothing to some people.  

The thing that really bugs me is that some people on here have never seen how a professional shop works, nor have any knowledge of the inner workings of things, yet they seem to know how everything is and tell everyone else that theyre wrong, with no data to back it up.  Im not saying that Im perfect and know everything, but at least I dont claim that I do.      

However, on the other side of the fence, I have met a lot of great people in the CLC, and I plan to keep my membership.  Ive been a member since I was 22.  Ill still keep up with the message board, but Ill just have to step back and be careful who I respond to.  I also enjoy getting the Self-Starter every month, except December.(Whats up with that anyway?)  Hopefully, if I ever have enough money, Ill make it to a GN.  

Anyway, Derek, Im sorry you decided to leave the club.  Youve been a great asset and Im sure a lot of people will be sad to see you go.  Im only one state away, so if you ever need someone to talk cars, old or new, Im here for you, man.  My e-mail is up there.   Take care and come back to visit every now and then.  

Rob
66 SDV

Johnny

Isnt there room on the boards for both Technical people and socializing people to co exist?  I am proably most guilty of "going off topic" or contributing to "off topic" threads.  Why?  Quite frankly I am not as mechicanally inclined as many others are, but I enjoy the fellowship of communicating with other Cadillac enthusiasts.  Heres a tip that might work.  When I look at posts, I avoid ones that have subject matter that might be strictly mechanical, such as the "repair of a 23 magnetic finnegan pin".  If those not wishing to read "off topic" subjects, would just avoid subjects such as "Cadillac Songs", it would make it more enjoyable for them.  

When responding to a post, people would change the "subject" box to  reflect more precisely their post, this might help people decide which post they want to read.

The fact remains, that all message boards, no matter what the subject matter, all have the same problems.  Why should we be different?

Porter 21919

Months ago he divulged a method of condensing a specific post and hiding the replies till you open it, I tried it but went back to the old method, prefering to see all the replies listed, most likely the method most are using.

For an example of what I describe check out his new website:

http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/ TARGET=_blank>http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/

Go to forums when you get to the home page, hopefully he will chime in and describe the above alternative method I described.

Topics that some enjoy others dislike and vice verse.

Porter

Eric Maypother CLC #15104

Hi all,
I find the post Dave mentioned to be the ones I read the most. Alot of the good information is not valid for me, like someone else mentioned, I will probly never have a need to know how to get a handle off a 1949 Caddy but its great info for someone who does, I find the non-technical chatter or the unusual cars on eBay and thier comments the things I tune in to check out the most. Some days you have to keep checking the board to see who added thier interesting comments and the continuing saga on a subject, if the board was all technical it would be boring and I would hardly even check it.
Im still puzzled as to why Derek canceled his CLC membership because of the message board yet he still participates in the topics, I got my membeship to the CLC about 10 years ago and enjoy my self starter every month as well as my regional newsletter regardless of whats been on the message board, Ive only been on-line just over 6 years so I was enjoying my membership for years before I new about the message board.
Im sure if we all got together at a Cadillac meet wed be talking about other things besides how to trouble shoot your heating problem or how to fix this or that.
I do wish though that some post would have more info in the subject line, like 1 might have have in subject "part for sale" so everyone that needs a part will have to click on it to see just what part it is rather than the poster just writing "1950 Cadillac Hubcap for sale" it would save everyone alot of time, you can get enough info in a subject line so the reader can see if it warrants his or her time reading the post.
Eric :)

Jack Carroll 18687

I Johan, I totaly agree. Ive been working on the restoration
 of my 39 LaSalle off & on for a little over 4 years now and
 Ive recieved much appreciated technical help from this forum,
however I would like to see a seperate more focused TECH. forum.