News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Hemmings Classic Car tour blurb

Started by Ray Dravesky, February 14, 2005, 10:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dravesky

FYI, the April 2005 issue of Hemmings Classic Car has a brief article on the September 2004 Rocky Mountain Region driving tour. See page 12. The writeup has a plug for the Florida driving tour next month. (Unfortunately, the editors used a photograph of a 41 they had on hand to meet their deadline.) Daniel Strohl of the magazine was delightful to work with, and very eager to hear from all of us in the CLC.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

For those of you who havent seen Hemmings Classic Car, its very good (much better than Special Interest Autos which it replaced), theyre covering only American cars, and it now comes out monthly instead of bi-monthly at the same subscription price.  There have been several mistakes in each issue which are very obvious to car buffs, but numerous letters have been printed about the problem and I expect theyll be more careful with proofreading in future issues.

Doug Houston

I was subscriber to Special Interest Autos from the beginning and have kept all the issues. It was a gfood publication, and a reasonably reliable source of automotive history.  A few months ago, I began to receive their "Classic Car" mag, and had to call their office to see what was going on. In one of the first two issues, they said that the 42 Oldsmobile engine was an "F" head!!! GM never made an F-head engine to my knowledge. (but their writers probably dont even know what an F-head engine is) I dashed off a letter to them, and in  their infinite arrogance, there was no reply nor acknowledgement. Then in a subsequent issue, they said that the 41 Cadillac convertible coupe bodies were made by Coachcraft! You need to wonder just how many other boners these characters are belching out on cars that you might not be familiar with. They dont appear to be very familiar with the cars that they write about.

This "Classic Car" publication has top quality layup and superb illustrations. Its not a cheap product. But insofar as credibility goes, they have laid an egg. Their title is far too close to the Classic Car Clubs magazine title, and the CCCA has registered objection, as I understand, but dont look for any results! The mistake that Hemmings makes is that they feature any and all makes and models of cars in a publication titled Classic Cars. Is everything now featured a classic? That could be the implication.

I was always rasonably satisfied with SIA, and Im sorry to see it gone. Since my subscription expires later this year, they have replaced the remaining issues with the "Classic Car" magazine. I dont plan on renewing. I dropped HMN years ago when Terry Erich began his impassioned rantings on trying to be a savior of the earth, and I havent missed the magazine at all.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

You caught some of the many errors. My favorite was when the writer of a comparison between a 55 Buick and 55 Oldsmobile said that the the Dynaflow transmission was so smooth that there was no sensation of gear change as the transmission moved up and down through the gearset. Its hard to imagine that an old car buff wouldnt know that Dynaflows didnt shift at all, but even if this one didnt, the owner of both cars was with him for the comparison and he surely did and could have corrected the author if he had been shown the draft. The author also complained about performance characteristics in the Olds that were obviously caused by incorrect engine and transmission adjustments (extreme pinging and a series of very rapid and abrupt gear changes that had the Olds in 4th at about 15 miles an hour) and seemed to think they were normal for those cars and that the Buick outperformed the Olds. The next month a letter was published explaining Dynaflow and stating that if the Olds had been in proper tune and adjustment, it would have run off and left the Buick. Im hoping the accuracy will improve because I like the layouts and most of the articles.