News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

seeking a 60 historian

Started by Marty Colgan, February 15, 2005, 10:45:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marty Colgan

My father-in-law owns a 60 Cadillac 4 door parade car.  It has no top and is upholstered in the back above the back seat and on the windshield header.  I have pictures available.  Where can I go or who can I talk to about tracing the history of this car?  It has been in the family for 20 years and the previous owner had it the previous 20.

Thanks in advance.

Marty Colgan
Chicago

John Binder, CLC#16715

Dear Marty,

Welcome to the CLC Forum, I am sure you will find all the Cadillac info you will ever need in the New Cadillac Database
compiled by one of the greatest Cadillac Historians.
Our own deeply appreciated Yann Saunders, AKA "Mr. Cadillac".

Sadly however I do not think you will find a references
to Factory Built "Parade Cars" for 1960 or most other years either.  These cars were often created by amateur customizers
or body shops as a way to have a little more fun with a used
Cadillac sedan or sometimes even a coupe. The quality of these conversions vary by individual attempt, and some come out quite professional looking. Most are designed for fair weather use only and the builders did not attempt the complexity of adding a folding top, though I once saw one with a lift-off hardtop.
Customizers call these "Carson Tops"

Because these cars were originally hardtops with no center roof support the frame and body structure was built heavily.
Removing the strong "Arch of Support" formed by the roof did not immediately cause them to sag in the middle, and since by their nature they were not likely to see much high speed or rough road use some continue to be operable (ie doors still open and close !)for years with careful driving.

Values are hard to judge since the quality varies by attempt
and the majority of prospective buyers may be a little leary about investing heavily in a car that has NO roof. Obviously
they less desirable in regions with short summers. In any case
a REAL NICE one (Like Yours?).... MIGHT have a SMALL premium over a similar 4-door sedan,which of course tend to be the least expensive styles for any given year. A poorly finished one will be hard to sell at any price !
It is unlikely to get anything close to a true factory convertibles value for one I would think.

That being said they can still be a great cruise night car
and a blast to take your friends to the beach in, after all they are still CADILLACs at heart ! Just remember a cover or tarp in the trunk incase you get surprised by a sudden shower.
Probably a good idea to avoid secondary and any rough roads or trying to see how may Frat Brothers or Legioneers you can pack in as well. Since removing the roof takes away the Triangulating TRUSS effect the body will tend to flex more over bumps or if heavily loaded, so drive it accordingly !

The club has recently started encouraging participation by "Modified" Cadillacs at club events although they will not be judged in the same classes as "Stock" models.

But above all Its your Cadillac HAVE FUN WITH IT !

Tailfins Forever!
John B
Western Mass.

PS I believe Cadillac DID build 4 ? 1966 Factory four door Convertibles as an experiment and that at least one is still extant in our club, look for pictures in the Database Website!

Yann Saunders, CLC #12588

Marty,  I have to agree with John. No such "parade car" was ever made by the factory [not even in 1965-66, John - these few jobs were all privately made, although Pierre Ollier, who was the instigator of the project, did work at the time for Cadillac]. You can see a couple of them on this page of the Cadillac Database :

http://www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_txt/Drm65-66.htm TARGET=_blank>www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_txt/Drm65-66.htm

Hess & Eisenhardt was commissioned in 1955 to build two 4-door convertible "parade cars" on the 1956 Cadillac chassis. These went into service in 1956 as White House security cars. They are the ONLY stretched parade cars to have been sanctioned by the factory. Check them out in the Cadillac Database:

http://www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_txt/prof56.htm TARGET=_blank>www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_txt/prof56.htm

My personal opinion:  steer clear of any sedan or coupe that have had their steel roof lopped off; it makes them "weak at the knees".

marty

Thanks for the info.

This car weighs in at 5080 lbs vs 4880 off the line.  It takes a custom exhaust system.  So the frame has been beefed up.

Thanks again.