News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1960 Caddy Trailer Hitch

Started by Chris Braun, February 28, 2005, 10:30:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Braun

Im in need of a hitch.  Engine is good, trans is good, rear end is good, brakes are good, so.. Im towing.  I need a hitch though.  Ive seen this little tiny hitch that goes under the bumper and bolts to the original bumper and frame mounts.  I dont think thatll do it.  I need a weld on, big hitch, like they put on trucks for boats, campers, etc.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.  Im thinking to try u-haul as they have a BIG sign stating that they can install "custom" hitches on any vehicle for class 1 through class 3.   (by the way... which one is more heavy duty?)  Once again, all suggestions welcome.  Thanks.

JIM CLC # 15000

02-28-05
Chris, class 3 is more heavy-duty then class 1.
Yes, U-Haul or Camper World should be able to install one for you, if not, try to locate a Welding Shop that also installs hitches.
Good Luck, when backn, place hands at bottom of wheel and turn in direction you want towed vehicle to go, Jim

Robert Koch 21150

I had a welding shop put one (type II, 3,500 lbs.) on my 76 Olds Delta, welded directly to the frame. Cost $125, with one blank ball holder, I supplied a 2" ball. I routinely pulled 2,600 lbs. every week for four years, cant see any sign the thing has ever been used. I spray cheap black paint on it every spring. I dont pull much anymore, that used to be for MONEY. Many radiator shops also do them.

Chris Braun

Well, the saga continues.  The custom welded hitch cost $250.00  They welded it to the two main rear frame wells, as well as the connecting rail between them.  So its got six main welds holding it on, verses the normal two or maybe four for a typical hitch.  The hitch itself is a 2x2, with a nice tall extension so the trailer doesnt do a nose dive. Ive also been searching for adjustable air shocks for the rear end.  So far, best bet is through CarX, at close to 300 smackers.  Im still looking needless to say, but I gotta find something fast.  Any suggestions greatly appreciated :)

JIM CLC # 15000

03-03-05
Chris, I can only tell you that the ALC unit on my 86 stopped working and the shop told me they could instsll a new unit for around $700.00 OR put on a manual fill kit for about $15.00.
Since I have an air compressor at home, guess which way I went?
The kit worked just fine.
If I were in your shoes, Ied try the kit first, you could always go back to origional if you dislike it.
I was lucky, there was a "hole" in the bottom edge of the bumper that worked-out just right.
One thing about it, you can always pump-up the shocks to level your car whenever you have a trailer connected.
Good Luck, Jim

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Chris,

If I were you, and was going to be doing a lot of towing, I would be going for the air bags that go inside the coil springs.

I think Air-Lift or someone like that make them, and they are easy to fit, and will carry a load better than the pump-up shockers.

I have fitted a few, and the owners have been very happy with them.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Ian Robertson CLC # 20080

I second that.  Ive inserted Polyair bags into the rear coils of my 67 Chevy Impala and haul around a 5,500lb trailer with it. (Dont know if Polair products are available in the US but somebody will have something similar)  Also extra heavy duty gas shockers for extra control - they havent affected ride quality as far as I can tell.

For consistent heavy duty towing Id also recommend a weight distribution set-up - one that distributes the weight evenly between the front and rear wheels of the car and the trailer - itll make a big difference to the way the car steers and handles.

Regards,  Ian.

Chris Braun

Trailer is no-go.  U-haul is gonna haveta work.  Found out that the doors on the trailer are WAY too small to fit all my crud inside.  So.. sometime in the future, since I already have a hitch, Ill prolly be getting a boat, maybe an airstream, and Ill worry about how to jack up the rear end then.  As for now.. Im done spendin $$$.  :)

Thanks for everybodies help.  And Im still gonna look into air bags that fit inside the coil springs.  That sounds like a really neat idea.