News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Sad state of

Started by Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397, March 01, 2005, 10:44:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

If you dont think the old-car hobby is going to hell in a handbasket, check out the Kruse Fredericksburg auction to be held next month. It includes such classics as a 1999 Mercury Cougar and a 1985 Chevrolet Suburban. Sounds like a used car lot to me....sad.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Should be later this month, not next month.

Doug Houston

You need to remember, Rusty, that auctioneers will sell anything that someone might buy. I know what you mean, as I get the catalogues for these hawkers. They spend loads of money on the catalogues, so if you didnt know it before, they make tons of cash in that business.

There are a few nice cars of course, but there are hot rods, pedal cars, models, and now, even real estate. The only rare things with these auctioneers are: surprises!

Joe Abernathy #17524

I agree they let some real turds thru sometimes, but they do run a good auction.  I havent been to a collector car auction yet that I didnt see a couple cars that left me scratching my head, but they are usually the exception.  I attend the Kruse auction in FBG every year, actually twice a year (spring and fall).  They always have a good turn out and always have some great cars.  I have two entered in this one, a 59 Bel Air and a Beautiful 1980 Coupe DeVille deElegance with 10K actual one owner miles.  Wish me luck!

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Youre right, of course.  Kruse is a respected organization and runs a good auction and they are by no means the only people running classic car auctions with 99 Mercurys and 85 Suburbans, but its still a disappointing trend. Good luck..Ive been to Fredericksburg dozens of times, including once to the Kruse, and its a great place even without old cars.
I still get a smile thinking of the Kruse FBG auction I attended for one reason: there was a really nice 1930 Oldsmobile and one of the Kruse guys was going to move it. He fiddled with the choke and the throttle and the spark and then ground and ground on the starter. When he finally got it started, he fiddled some more with the spark until it backfired, sending a blue flame about a foot out of the exhaust and then died. That man left and came back with a white-haired man of about 80 (I assumed he was the owner). The older gentleman got in the Olds, made a few quick adjustments, started the car quickly, and drove it off without backfiring.