News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

very comfortable tires

Started by Robert Koch 21150, February 23, 2005, 06:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Koch 21150

I got new tires yesterday. After reading TOO many reviews on Tire Racks site (Thanks Porter!) I chose the Yokohama Aegis LS4 tires. They rated best for comfort, quiet and water handling. NC has SERIOUS rain storms. They are Very quiet, quite soft, and handle VERY well in the rain. Hydroplaning is a serious problem around here. I broke both thumbs when I planed into the back of a pickup and the air bags attempted to kill me. Just hairline fractures, all better now. Tomorrow I get to see how well they handle ice storms, swell!
So the Cavalier isnt a Caddy, it is quieter, quicker and more comfortable than several bigger cars Ive owned. ALL newer cars are better than the model they replaced. Except apparently the Grand Marquis. Sorry, Densie, none of my buds have been able to help there.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Robert,

Thanks for the update.

Nice to see that you have found your "quiet" tyres.   Yokohama is a good brand.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

JIM CLC # 15000

02-23-05
Robert, try more pressure in the tires when you know that you may be drivn in the rain.
There is a direct ratio between tire pressure and hydroplaning.
The more pressure, the less chance of hydroplaning.
Just dont over pressurize.
Good Luck, been there-done that, Jim

densie

I had a 1974 Marquis, and like my 76 New Yorker, and my 72 New Yorker, I just cant imagine anything from the last two decades being able to replace those cars.

-densie

Robert Koch 21150

My 1976 Olds Delta has very comfortable quiet tires, also Yokohamas. Plus air adjustable shocks. Plus a "competition" set of front and rear bushings. At 4,800 pounds it rides like a "Cheapillac", which is what it is. It steers like a Go Kart. It stops amazingly fast (165 ft at 60) for something so heavy and simple in design. It has a 350R with a 4bbl and a slipping TH-375. Its wonderful! Single finger steering, sharp breath power brakes, mushy velour seats.
It is a sorry delivery vehicle which is why I drive the Cavalier Wagon. The Cav is quick, cheap, quiet(er), easy to fix, and surprisingly comfortable. And 25 to the gallon in serious stop and go and idle and stop and go and idle. It is post 1990 which means it isnt as crude as the car it replaces, the Chevette. Its a ***** to get in and out of, which provides me with the physical therapy my doctor tells me to get. Ill keep it!
I have multiple cars for multiple reasons. No one of them does it all. Want to be surprised by comfort, quiet, handling, features and CHEAP? Test drive a Pontiac Vibe. It is MUCH nicer than the Toyota Matrix twin. Very small and no luggage space, but as I said, no one car does it all. I have five cars. Six if you count my girlfriends Vibe.

Michael Stamps 19507

I think you will find the dry handling great also.  Thats what I tend to aim for in my cars and like I said before they are the top of my list.

Stampie

Robert Koch 21150

The new tires got the ultimate test On Feb 28. We got a typical North Carolina winter storm: Partially frozen slop with wind. Many people have told me that NC does not have real winter weather or snow. I learned to drive in Wisconsin 39 years ago and refined the art in New Jersey. I KNOW foul weather. NC has some of the most dangerous stuff fall from the sky I have ever seen. I think it is flakes of Teflon sprayed with WD-40 and automatic tranny fluid. And the SUV owners....
The tires did just dandy. The Toyota van gets a set in the fall. The La Salle would get them too if they made a 215/85R-16 WWW.

Michael Stamps 19507

Do a search for past post.  I believe there is a company that is doing WWW on Yokos.

Stampie

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Stampie,

Does that mean that one has to surf the WWW to get WWW information, or is that finding WWW information on the WWW.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV with NWW

P.S.   And then if it isd waining whilst doing it it is WWW on the WWW when outside it is WWW

P.P.S.   Maybe the person that invented the term Wide White Walls (WWW) should have patented the letters.

Bret Scott (CLC 21765)

Hi, all-

here is a link to a company that does custom white wall tires on just about any tire:

http://www.widewhitewalltires.com/ TARGET=_blank>http://www.widewhitewalltires.com/

I called several months ago to see if they could put dual-stripe white walls on Yokohama AVID H4 tires for my 68 Eldorado, and it was possible then.  They can also shave the sidewalls to remove any identification if, say, you chose to put Continentals on your Fleetwood...

Regards,

Bret

Michael Stamps 19507

Now you tell me.  I could have gotten my 275/60 15s in a WWW.  Same brand and tire also:

http://www.stampie.com/70SDV/current.html TARGET=_blank>http://www.stampie.com/70SDV/current.html

Stampie

PS - Thanks for the link.  Now I wonder if 275s will fit on the 60.