News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Eldorado

Started by George, March 24, 2005, 08:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Jeff Pendleton CLC 25058

I do.  I used one on my 76.  Seemed to be okay, but Ill admit I did not keep the car long after installing it.  

I suppose a regular boot would be better, but for the amount this car was driven, a carefully installed split boot was fine.  Just check it periodically to make sure it stays together and sealed-up.  And if it fails and ruins the axle, so what?  rebuilt axles are cheap and you would have probably replaced it anyway while you had the car apart to replace a regular boot.

Jeff

George Woodford clc21025

Split boots are a temporary fix.  Due to the mounting hardware, these boots are out of balance and it becomes apparent at high speeds.  Replace the boot with the proper part.  Remember there is a trick to installing boots to avoid damage to them.  Clamping the boot in the right locations will avoid damage to your newly installed boots.  Insure cotter pins are not in reach to tear boot, too.

George

Thanks for the imput you two. I have the right boots for the car, But I was hoping for a quick fix to get it through the annual test. I think I will avoid the split boot.