News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1947 Cadillac Issues

Started by Ralph Hoyt CLC 21242, March 24, 2005, 07:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Hoyt CLC 21242

Stromberg AAV-26 - I am having issues with my carburator. Seems that when the car is cold and slowly warms up, I have all the power I need. I can rev the engine, run it at high RPMs. Take the car for a spin.

Then when it is fully warm, the throttle body drops into place and opens up the choke and the carb seems to loose its power. Its runs rough, looses power and eventially dies. Then its hard to start until it cools down.

It is not a vapor lock issue. I have addresses the issues there and I am getting plenty of fuel.

PS - Does anyone have a restored Stromberg Carb for sale.

Robert Vonheck

-if you believe the carburetor to be the original, certainly do not  replace it for some questionable rebuilt embodiment; --if there is no significant wear of the throttle-shaft, likely just needs a good cleaning and possible a new power-Needle & mating power-Jet!   However, heres a olmechanics quick-fix trick..... Now with the engine warmed-up and air-cleaner removed, -run her up to about 2,000-rpm and hold her there while you place your cupped-hand over the airhorn-inlet (quickly remove when she nearly kills); --which when she regains RPMs, youll often find this proceedure when repeated maybe three times, -has cleared dirt/varnish from the metering-jets via the high-suction thereby induced.  Over the years, i have had numerous people thank me for saving them an expensive Carb.-overhaul on this one....!!   ~Bob vH  

Bill Ingler CLC 7799

Ralph-If you are getting fuel to the carb and if you know the car is not quiting because of fuel starvation then I would suspect the ignition circut could be breaking down because of heat. The primary culprit here is the coil.A weak coil as it gets warmer, the secondary coil windings will break down causing the engine to miss.I have never had a coil so bad that the car just quits, it usually will give you a warning like a miss that keeps getting worse, the car will also be very hard to start until the coil cools off. Start from the battery checking both cables to see if they are tight on the battery, check the points and condensor and check for any broken or loose wires in the distributor as well as the wire from the coil to the distibutor.It doesn`t take much of a loose wire in the ignition circuit to give you a rough runing car. I once had a car like yours which would run great until I took it out for a ride and it would just up and quit. It would start after it sat and cooled. I changed about all there was to change until I discovered that the ground cable was just laying on the negative post on the battery and vibration would break the ignition circuit. It makes one feel very stupid.