News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Tire Pressures; 1975 Fleetwood Brougham

Started by Richard Paley #1066, March 29, 2005, 08:28:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Paley #1066

I just installed new Michelin radials.  The sticker on the door frame states, 28 lbs front, 24 lbs rear; the dealer who sold me the tires recommends 32 lbs all around.  Anyone have thoughts on this?  Thanks.

Mike #19861

Go with the recommendation of the tire manufacturer. The pressures recommended on the door jamb are for tires that have not been available and obsolete since the late 70s.

Pressures were usually set on the soft side in favour of a soft ride. Usually, if you look in the manual, recommended pressures will be higher for sustained high speed use. These pressures will be in the 32 psi area.

Mike

Sandy 18390

When I bought my 76 Eldo, it had Michelins on it inflated to 32 psi.  I was not sure that was correct, so I called Michelin.  They recommended increasing the pressure only 1 psi more than the original tires.

wm link

I would put them as the manufacturer has set. I have a 76 and I think mine are at 25 all around.

Andrew 10642

I vote with Mike.  Have Michelins on my 68 and 79, shouldnt be below 30 psi.  25 is waaay too low.  Manufacturers biased to ride, not handling or mileage.

Porter 21919

After "X" number of miles driven you will see if the tire wear is even. I have been running a set of Dunlop Radial Rover ATs on my Van since 2001. Started with 35 psi, 50 psi max. spec. After three years I had overinflation wear in the center , for the last year I have run them at 30 psi, the tread is true now. For this tire application 32 psi would have been about right for my vehicle. I run them at 32 psi now and still have half tread life left.

There is no finite tire pressure spec. for a new tire on an older car.

HTH,

Porter

Richard Paley

From the info you got from Michelin, was that 1lb over whats indicated on the glove box door, front and rear?  Is that what you inflated yours to?

David #19063

Richard,

I agree with Mike and Andrew.  

Many of the new tires today (S- & T-Rated are 35 psi max).  If you are going to run highway speeds or above (60+ mph), I would run at least 32 psi in the tires.

Personally, I run 33-35 psi in my tires, S-rated.  

My wifes Concours came with H-rated tires and now have W-Rated 50 Series tires on it.  Both sets of tires are 44 psi max tires.  We run these at about 42-44 psi.

At full pressure, the tires ride a little stiffer, however, they have much less sidewall roll this way and handle much better.  Plus, at highway speeds, they generate less heat than at lower pressure.  

And they wear evenly across the tread.

Plus, I never ever have experience center wear at/near max pressure.  

However, when I uses to set the pressure at the car manuafacturers recommendation, I always had edge wear and my tires didnt last long.

David

wm link

biased to ride? Thats just why I drive an older cadillac.

sandy #18390

Yes, just 1 pound over what is printed in the glove box, front and rear, is what Michelin recommended.  I have kept them at that pressure and they are doing well.

Sorry for the delay, I was on the driving tour in FL.  :)

densie 20352

Ive always kept radial tire pressure at 32 on my 70s cars.  Ive found that if I let them get too low, they blow out on the freeway.  The cars ride smoothly at any tire pressure, which is why I love them.

On my newer car, the recommend pressure is 40 and I have 26 in them, but weve kicked that horse to death already.  ;)

-densie