News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

tires, car and truck

Started by denise 20352, April 04, 2005, 06:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

denise 20352

What is the difference between car and light truck tires?  If the size is correct, is there any reason why a highway or all-season light truck tire could not be put on a car?

thanks

-denise

Lou 19058

The difference has to do with the load rating on the tire. The sidewalls are stiffer on trucks so they can carry a load without having the side walls bulge. The tires will work on a car but the ride will be compromised.

Rhino 21150

Light truck tires are also noisier as a rule. Does anyone know what makes a trailer tire different? I have car tires on my trailer and I was told they wouldnt last 2000 miles. They have been on for 18000 and the trailer doesnt act funny in tow.

Mike #19861

Trailer tires typically have stiffer sidewalls to help prevent sway in crosswinds. That is why bias ply tires stayed so long on trailers because of their inherant sidewall stiffness.

Most trailer tires now are radials, but they have extra belting to increase sidewall stiffness.

Car tires will work just fine on some trailer applications, and last a long time because of their comparitively light loading. But with trailers that are suceptible to crosswinds, such as campers, specific trailer tires are highly recommended.

Mike

Rhino 21150

Thanks! My personal trailer is 4 tall, 5 wide and 6 long, weighs 450 pounds, all steel box. It has electric brakes and routinely carried 2,300 pounds on 195/75R-13 used Cavalier tires.
I rarely put over 500 pounds in it these days. I could easily transport a few V-8s for a fee if the tow car didnt need a transmission.