News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Sedan Tire Question

Started by Chris Braun, April 04, 2005, 02:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Braun

Ok, Im sure this has come up before, but I have several questions about the tires on my 1960 Series 62.  

The first is reguarding the replacement of bias 8.20s with 225/75 R 15s.   I did that several years ago, and love the ride and handling.  But, there is one HUGE problem.  When I take off the rear skirts, and try to get the rear wheels off, I have to deflate the tires all the way and they are still a tight squeeze between the bolts and the fenders.  Funny, but the original bias tires fit just fine on the same rims.  

Should I pick a thinner tire?  

Might the wheels be incorrect? ie: Wrong backspacing?  

What is the proper backspacing for these wheels?

Ok, next, Ive got the $$$ together for a set of new tires.  Im going with radials of course, and I want wide white walls, and Im looking at diamondbacks and cokers.  Who else is out there, and whats the best.  Im interested in the longest treadware, and a good looking white wall.  Any suggestions, or comments welcome.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Chris,

I am running the same size radials on my 60 CDV, and dont have any trouble removing the wheels from the back axle.

Having said that, there is a bit of juggling involved, but I have never had to deflate a tyre.

But, you have to use the bumper jack, or do what I do, and that is to jack up the car, put jackstands under the chassis, and let the diff just hang.

But, if you are using shockers that are too short, then the diff wont hang down far enough.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Ed Mobley

Chris,

Bruce is correct.  I have the same size tires as you.  I just jack the car up by the frame and let the diff hang.

Regards,

Ed

Paul W Allen CLC#20193

Chris,

Check out the Radial Goodyears Kelsey Tires has. I just put a set on my 53 and cant say enough about them. I havent had the chance to put a lot of miles on them yet, but they ride and track nicely. The wide whites look great too.
http://www.kelseytire.com/ TARGET=_blank>http://www.kelseytire.com/

Paul
53 Coupe
Dynaflow

Chris Braun

Well, I hate to surprize you guys, naa, actually I love to.  

But I have been raising the rear end of the car by the original bumper jack.  So.. the rear axle does hang down quite a bit.  But it still doesnt want to clear the tires with the radials inflated.  

I called up Diamondback Classics to talk about the problem.  Explained that the original spare in the trunk has a 8.20x15 firestone bias tire, and it fits on and off the rear hubs just fine.  But the radials just dont seem to fit.  He asked me to check and make sure that the four rims on the car are exactly the same as the spare.  He seems to think that somebody swapped my rims for a set with a different back spacing, and painted them to cadillac turquise.  Ive of course painted them black now, but thats besides the point.  

Diamondback said theyve never heard of a cadillac owner having any trouble getting wheels on and off, so he was pretty certain I had the wrong rims.  Ill have to do some checking.  

Which brings me to my next question, does anybody know the backspacing for these original steel rims?  

Tom Hitchcock - 2212

Just as an aside, the correct www for 1960 was 2.5-inches. It is my understanding that Diamond Back has, or can make, these for something over $620 for four. From a purely personal point of view, if you are unable to get 2.5-in whites, I would recommend going under rather than over this dimension. I think the car just looks "better" and more "classy" with less rather than more than 2.5-inches...IMHO.

Art#22010

Hi Cris. In the rebuild of my 49 I anguished over the same possible problem you now experience. In the end, I listened to Jeff Maltby and stayed with the original 8.20 , fat ww. Glad I did, as for all practical purposes, they work fine. Vintage tire in Hershey Pa. may be able to help you. They had mine in stock.
Dont have the number with me but it is area code 717.art

Ed Mobley

I agree...the super wide whitewalls dont look good on that car.  Ive got Diamondbacks and I have no problem getting them on & off the car.

Ed

Chris Braun

Ok, Ive got a good question then, anybody have photos of sedans with different inch wide whites?  Ive got TONS of photos, but Im not sure what width white walls they have.  I could guess, but thats not my strong suit.  So.. any photos are greatly appreciated.

Art #2201-

Chris, I would agree with Ed. The heavier ww seems right on the older, what appeared through design , to be a heavier car. For a 60, I would think, no more than 2 in. A 4.5 in fat bologna on your car just wont look right.  Art 22010

Ed Mobley

These are the 2.75" Diamondback whitewalls.  Im very pleased with the Diamondback - I ordered them through a local tire shop.

http://www.photopaige.com/caddy050904 TARGET=_blank>http://www.photopaige.com/caddy050904

Ed

Chris Braun

Ed, car is looking GREAT, photos are ok too.  If those are the 2.75s, I think 3s would look ok on mine.  whats a 1/4 inch difference really?  Im glad to hear youve been happy with the diamondbacks.  Yet another vote for them.  Im not interested in some 4 or 5 inch whitewalls, as I agree, they look good on cars from the 30s and 40s, and maybe early 50s, but they dont look right on a 60 caddy.  Thanks again everybody.

Dan Keane

Do you still own a Charter Communications or have you lost that in the bankruptcy process?  I am currently opting out of the class action and suing directly.

Michael Stamps 19507

LOL ... Just a little OT here but we are seeing the fallout from the great cable mergers of the mid to late 90s.  Adelphia is being sold off to Comcast and Time Warner.  I was a customer of Charter in the late 90s and I was impressed by their customer service but my dad being a current customer is not as impressed.  That said I work for Comcast and was a former AT&T Broadband employee.  Id have to say that Comcast did everything right.  They bought out the largest cable provider at a fire sale.

Stampie

Thome Johnson

i too am a former AT&T Broadband employee, TCI to be specific.  wjat group did you work in?

Quote from: Michael Stamps 19507LOL ... Just a little OT here but we are seeing the fallout from the great cable mergers of the mid to late 90s.  Adelphia is being sold off to Comcast and Time Warner.  I was a customer of Charter in the late 90s and I was impressed by their customer service but my dad being a current customer is not as impressed.  That said I work for Comcast and was a former AT&T Broadband employee.  Id have to say that Comcast did everything right.  They bought out the largest cable provider at a fire sale.

Stampie

Rhino 21150

Your wheel problem sounds like a perfect excuse to look at some wires. There are very few cars that dont look good with wires (Pintos come to mind!). I had a set on my 65 Corvair Corsa Spyder. Woohoo!

Michael Stamps 19507

I was and still am a field tech in Jacksonville.  For us the transistion was just putting on a different shirt one day.

Stampie

robert p millian

Hi Tom

The correct white wall width on the 1960 Cadillac was 2 1/4 inches,not 2 1/2. My 60 Edo Biarritz still has the original spare tire in the trunk, 820x15 US Royal Master. Back then most all the cadys came with the US Royal tires,although I have seen some come with BF Goodrich from my collection of over 50, 60 cadys thru the years. Also same size w/w was used on the Buick,olds and Pontiac,cant remember if on the chevy. Last year 2 1/4 inch was year 1960.

best regards

bob