News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

A/C noise-61 Fleetwood 60sp

Started by Jeff, April 12, 2005, 02:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

When I engage the compressor the car lets out a low groan thats present even when the car is moving. There doesnt seem to be any corresponding lack of power or sluggishness to the throttle though it does knock on hard acceleration. Time to replace the compressor? What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Jeff

denise 20352

Does the air conditioner still work?  Is this a noise that it suddenly started making?  Is it loud and annoying?

As a rule, I dont remove a compressor unless it has failed, because it involves opening the system, replacing the drier, evacuation, adding new oil and refrigerant, etc.  Its a major hassle just to get rid of a noise.

-denise

George

Densie is right. Before you do anything drastic, or expensive. Check the drive belts. Even the generator belt can make a noise when you engage. Check the oil level in the compressor.

jeff

Yes, the A/C works, but I didnt think about checking the oil. Thatll be next. Belt noise, hmmmm? Ill check that too, but the noise is sooo much like the sound the water pump made before it gave out, that I figured the noise was internal to the pump. Thanks for the tips.

Jeff