News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

are 1947 cad frames created equal?

Started by nasser, April 13, 2005, 04:15:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nasser

Hi everybody:
  In restoring my 1947 conv (with rusted floor) I obtained a 1947 4dr car and took the floor and the frame as well as some other parts. The floor is in my garage and I can see that itll fit nicely after removing some parts from it and adding/usign the old braces to it. The frame however, is in a remote storage 100 miles away. The questions are:
1- if I use the 4drs frame (S.62,129" WB) would this hurt the authenticity of the car? in another way, are frames for that era serialized? I couldnt find any stamped #s on the conv frame.
2- Do you think there is any differnence between a conv frame and a 4dr frame?
3- what if I used the engine from the 4drs, would this be concidered an authenticity violation?
  I also found on the top of the frame of the conv on the right side just behind the battery box a welded mechanical part that has a lever that goes through a hole cut in the floor to be accessed by the passenger. This lever was cut by a torch but the mechanism still there and resemble a master cylender but it doesnt have any hydrolic reservoar or any tubings on it. I guessed the car was used as a drive training car and that gadget is to able the trainer to stop the car while sitting as a passenger. Q, Was there any option/after-market gadgets or gimmicks then that used such rigs?
  A big thank you for every response, and happy motoring to all.
Dr. Nasser

Bill Ingler CLC#7799

The 47 convert frame is a different frame than the 47 4dr frame. Since the 47 convert does not have frame to roof pillar posts in the body for support to help prevent body twist as does the 4dr, the 47 convert frame uses a heavy cross support in the frame to give the frame more support from twisting.Use the convert frame for the convert body. The 4dr floor is fine for the convert as that is what I did when restoring my 47 convert. Make sure before you transfer the 47 convert body to the new floor that you have the 47 convert body cross jigged so there will be no twist in the body as you lift from one floor to the other. Just the smallest of twist will give you a bad fit on your doors and your body to frame bolts won`t line up. All 47 cars when they were new carried an ID stamped into the right top rail of the frame about 4 inches back from the right engine mount to the frame. This same ID number was stamped on the 47 engine block just above the water pump on an flat extension of the block. If you find a 47 today with both numbers matching consider yourself lucky as most 47 engines have been changed over the years and the engine could be from a different 47 series or year. Each series of 47 engines carried a differnt block of numbers, ie 62 series were from 8420001 to 8459835. Its great to have your numbers match but I have never seen a judge check for matching numbers. Have fun and if I can help you just email. I have been there, done that and I don`t want to go back.  

nasser

You are right Bill, the #s didnt match on the conv and the 4dr as I have the engine and frame of it. Regarding the difference between the two frames, I brought the 4dr frame and put it side by side to the conv and seen no difference in configuration or thickness and all the difference I noticed between the conv and the 4drs lies above the frame (on the floor) where braces and gussets and tops pistons bases are welded to the floor and wheel well sheet metals. I might over looked something in my examination of the two frames, Ill look further more. Too my surprise, I found the 4drs floor provided with all of the bracing for the conv especially the ones attached to the bottom of the floor, like the brace that goes underneath the floor connecting the two side gussets between the rear door gams which are ancored with one bolt each to the frame. Ill use strong jigging and bracing while transfering the top part of the conv body (upper part of the fire wall and the widshield, quarter pannels, conv top well, and the upper part of the trunk gutter) to prevent twesting or change of dimenssions.
  Thank you Bill for the insights and thats what this forum is for, and Ill email you and might send you some pictures if you are interested. It is fun to do this job but it is a mountain of a job, I will not even think of doing such thing again, God forbid.
Dr. Nasser,

nasser

Bill, please email me, I couldnt find your email address.
Dr. Nasser,