News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1930 V12 Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton

Started by Ken Andersen # 21420, April 13, 2005, 07:45:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Andersen # 21420

Could anyone please advise approx how many of these were built, and what one would expect to pay for one, fully optioned from the factory, including pilot rays. Is 100percent complete, in original condition, upholstery and hoodlining, needs work. Paint and brightwork is passable, but would probably need work also. What would the approx value be if restored back to concourse condition. Present owner has full history of this vehicle.

Ken Andersen # 21420

Sorry guys year model should be 1931 not 1930.

Yann Saunders, CLC No. 12588

No production figures are available for the individual body styles on the V12 chassis.

Using the total V8 and V12 production figures, as well as individual numbers available for the V16, you might arrive at a reasonable guestimate.

Check the Clubs "Cadillac Database" for 1930-31 V8, V12 and V16 total production figures and then pro-rate with the V16 phaeton figure.

As to value, this is (together with the roadster and convertible coupe) the most desirable of automobile body styles, irrespective of marque or (in this case) engine configuration. In excellent condition or perfectly restored, my guess is that you would be looking at six figures.

jonathan riley

A nice 1931 Cadillac V12 Fleetwood Phaeton
Model 370A is for sale here.  $190,000.

http://www.restorecars.com TARGET=_blank>http://www.restorecars.com

Ken Andersen # 21420

Thanks Jonathan & Yann, much appreciated. If this one has a price tag of US$190K, what would be a reasonable price for one in original condition, unrestored, but showing its age. Would US$ 150K be too much???  I have the option of buying one.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Hi Ken, is it a true dual-cowl OR a sport phaeton? Big difference in my opinion. What is the style #? Bob

Yann Saunders, CLC No. 12588

At this level of collectibility, there should be little difference in cost/value between a regular or all-weather  phaeton and the d/c model.  My own favorite is the d/c but Im pretty sure other V12 open styles in like condition would fetch the same money.  

The prices that have been quoted seem fair to me, provided that the condition is truly as described.

Ken Andersen # 21420

Yann & Bob, My understanding is that it is a genuine dual cowl sport phaeton, with fully optioned extras ex factory.  In light of Jonathen Rileys web address, (there is one currently for sale at US$190K, fully restored), given an asking price of US$150K, and adding approx another US$ 70 - 90K to fully restore,is US$150K a fair price to pay.

Bob Hoffmann CLC #96

Hi Ken, thats good. I have to disagree with Yann. All 31 V-12 open cars dont have the same value. Especially comparing all weather phaetons(conv. sedans) with TRUE phaetons. I personally think that heavy classic prices are very soft at this time & not likely to get better. Unless you HAVE to own this car & have LOTS of money, Id make an offer of a little over $100K US & see what happens. You might be surprised. Regards, Bob

Ken Andersen # 21420

Thanks Bob, I appreciate your advice. I am restoring a 1928 7 Seater Cadillac at the moment, & have had to buy a lot of spare parts from the guy that has this for sale. Believe me, I have had to pay through the nose for those parts, including a copy of the book Colors from Natures Studio, which I paid US$ 2500 for, and a couple of days later Yann had one for sale at US$250. But I suppose that is what you do if no one else has th items that you want.
I will be a little bit more carefull if I do decide to purchase the 31 open car.