News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1985 Eldo Drivers side interior sun visor

Started by Bob Chesnutt 21760, April 19, 2005, 03:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Chesnutt 21760

I have a red one that will not stay up.  Does anyone have a fix for this problem or a good one to sell?

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gee, maybe if you changed it to a blue one, that might work?

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

P.S. Couldnt resist that.

George

You can buy these things new on E-Bay. Not bad prices.

David #19063

Hey Bob,

If these are like the ones in my 85 Toronado Caliente, the drivers side one hould have a phillips screw that you can gently tighten to tighten up the visor.

My problem was the passenger side with the lighted visor that was heavier and did not have a screw you could tighten.  This was a flaw in this cars.

Also, many people that had the Elso, Toro, and Riv had a problem with the drivers door mirror getting loose and wobbling.  The only way to get at the screw to tighten it was to break the mirror glass, tighten the screw, and glue in a replacement mirror.

David

Bob Chesnutt 21760

Thanks for the thoughts, I have a blue one, but my wife insists on red.  I will look on e-bay.

Bob C

Bob Chesnutt 21760

I forgot to say that there is no screw for adjustment.  I took apart a blue one, but I see no way to modify it so I can tighten it.

Bob C

Brian Rachlin

There is one way to make these stay up.  If you have a hardtop, try putting a pen in the molding that runs on top of the side window, and put it on a 45 degree angle to the molding that goes over the windshield, which will support the weight of the visor.

It sounds stupid, but I saw that in someones car once.

If you have a convertible, this wont work.  I have tried:

1.  Squeezing parts of the visor in a bench vice to pinch something and add friction, to no avail

2.  Tried to add a screw, but without having a junk one to dissect, I couldnt tell where to put a screw.

3.  Velcro.  I tried to add velcro to the visor and the vinyl header, but when it gets hot, the glue on the velcro fails.

4.  Removing the saggy visor.  It only sags in the hot weather, and stays up just fine in the winter, which is when you need it for sun glare anyway.

5.  Someone told me that the convertible visors are a different size and are a bit shorter, but I dont believe that.  Anyone know for sure?

I will get one from a junk yard and take it apart and come up with a fix. There has to be something that can be modified.

Brian

George

I looked on e-bay. The company that supplies the visors dont make one for your year, but I suppose you could get in touch and ask.

Bob Chesnutt 21760

Thanks.  I did find white ones on e-bay.  I dont know if I could move my red cover to it or not.  Im thinking about it.

Bob Chesnutt 21760

Thanks, I took one apart but I did not see any way to repair it.

Tod - North Texas CLC

This was discussed a few months ago, and a very sensible suggestion was made.  I havent tried this yet, but it makes perfect sense to me.

This design relies on a bushing to maintain the friction to keep the visor in place.   After time, the bushing wears, and allows the visor to slip down.  It was suggested on the board to insert a toothpick firmly into bushing (next to the exposed shaft) to take up the slack in the bushing.

As mentioned, I havent tried this - since I have the sun roof, a large spring clip holds mine in place, but I fully intend to try to get rid of the clip by trying the toothpick trick.

Bob Chesnutt 21760

Mike #19861

Nope, blue ones wont work. I have two that wont stay up.

(couldnt resist that either)

Mike

Porter 21919

Mike is holding out on you, he has an 85 Eldo with a blown HT engine, he is building an HT engine with 4.5 cylinder liners, check out http://www.modifiedcadillac.org TARGET=_blank>www.modifiedcadillac.org to see some pictures of his engine rebuild. We should call him Mr. HT 4100, he suffered for years at the dealer rebuilding those engines. His engine will be bulletproof.

Bob Chesnutt 21760

I found a solution, I doubt that it will be permanent, but who knows.  I found one off of a junk car that was still working after 128K miles.  Then I took it and my good red one with only 53K miles on it to an upholstry shop.  He said he can take the red off and put it on the base of the blue one.  Who knows if it lasted all these years it may last a lot longer.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Bob,

Glad to see that my suggestion of trying a Blue one helped.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV