News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Radiator Filter & Electric Fuel pump.

Started by Tom Roche, April 19, 2005, 10:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Roche

I own a 1940 LaSalle.

!.  I read in the Self-Starter about a FILTER that fits in the hoses going back to the radiator (to catch the rust).  Where can I get one?  

2.  What brand and part # electric fuel pump (6 volt) is recommended to help with starting problems when hot?  I want to turn the pump off after the engine is running.  Would the pump restrict the normal flow of gas after it is turned off?  

Thanks for your help,

Tom Roche

Chuck-#21953

Use an Airtex Model E8011, available at Carquest. It will pump right through your mechanical pump and your mechanical pump will draw through the electric pump. Use a filter before the pump and regulate the pressure (mandatory) down to 2 1/2 to 3PSI.  It sure took care of the problems on my 1939 60 Special.

Bill Ingler CLC 7799

Chuck- With the Airtex pump in the off position and the mechanical pump drawing through the Airtex are you getting any signs of vapor lock? Drawing fuel from the tank through a aux pump will sometimes cause intermitent vapor lock especially with a hot engine on pulling a grade or accelerating from 2nd to 3rd. Does this pump have a adjustable pressure regulator or do you have to buy separately?  Thanks

steve hales

Tom.
I own a 1939 LaSalle and I installed a carter 6 volt electric fuel pump. I run a completely seperate fuel line from the tank to the carbuetor. with a fuel filter at the tank and the pump mounted midship in the frame. I installed a a check valve in the front of the mechanical fuel pump at the tee. . Mr. Walt Brewer ,
 Mr. LaSalle wrote a complete article on this in the CLC. This works real good for me.

Tom Roche

Thanks for the info.  Do you recall the issue in the CLC the article was in?  I am a member of CLC.  Can I find these articles on this web site, if so how.

Tom Roche

Chuck #21953

Yes, the car has burped a couple of times while running at speed on the mechanical pump.  Turning on the electric pump momentarily immediately solved the problem.  I bought a regulator from Kragen.  Cost about $25.00.

Chuck--#21953

I have a Carter 6-volt pump if you are interested.  Almost brand new.

Tom Roche #20925

Hi Chuck,

I would be very interested in your pump. Send me your phone number or call me at 630 983-7825.

Thanks,

Tom Roche

Len Sholes

Tom re you comments about a radiator hose filter. To be honest I have never heard of one and I would be scared to install one if there is one avialable. From what you are saying it is installed in the top rad hoses. The way that I see it is as the filter trapped any debris in your cooling system it would start to plug up restricting the flow of the coolant to the rad. In time it would completly stop the flow and this would cause an overheating condition just the same as if you had a stuck thermostat. I realize your engine has two top rad hoses and you would probably only install it in one hose. The only way that I can see something like this working would be for it to have a bypass valve in it so if the filter plugged up it would open allowing to coolant to keep circulating. My expierence has been that if your block and radiator are clean and you run an anti freeze mixture in your cooling system you should not have a problem. If you dont want to use anti freeze then you should install some cooling system conditioner in the cooling system to prevent scale build up. If your block is that bad you might want to consider removing the frost plugs and try to clean out as much scale as possible and then install new plugs. It is not an easy job but it can be done.

Dave Leger CLC #19256

I had talked with Walt Brewer about this before the rebuild on my flathead.  He uses the Gano filters.  I deicded to give Tefba filters a try.  The Gano filters use a wire mesh cone, the Tefba filters have a stainless mesh.  The thing that swayed me to the Tefba is that you can open them and clean them out easily without taking your hoses apart.  Our flatheads happen to take the same size filters as the Jaguar 12 cylinder engines.  Heres an article on both filters on a Jag site:  

http://www.jag-lovers.org/xj-s/book/CoolantFilters.html TARGET=_blank>http://www.jag-lovers.org/xj-s/book/CoolantFilters.html

and here is a link to the U.S. supplier for the Tefba filters.  He was very nice getting mine out to me.  I still owe him a picture of them installed on my 47.

http://carbitz.org/index.html TARGET=_blank>http://carbitz.org/index.html

My engine is back running, but I havent put any miles on yet.  Im still working on some wiring issues and a vacuum line (after the guy working on the car skipped town - long story).

Dave

Tom Roche

I agree with you about it becoming blocked.  The filter that I read about was to be installed and you drive around for 10 mins. then pull it & clean it, drive 15 mins. then remove the filter.

Tom

Tom Roche

Dave,

Thanks, This is the one I read about.  I am sure other members will enjoy your response.

Tom

Alan Feltham CLC member

Sounds good - For our  CAD flatheads, do you put the filter in BOTH hoses ?

Dave Leger CLC #19256

I have them in both of mine, and I know Walt has the Ganos in both of his on his LaSalle.  I figure with both its better filtration, and twice the total filter surface area, should something start to clog up.  I know on the Jag V-12s, which have the same dual return setup as our flatheads, people put them on both.  When I ordered the two 1 1/2 Tefba filters, the seller asked me what year Jag I had.  He was quite surprised about what they were going in.

Dave

Bryson Talamini #21505

The Airtex E8011 is the ultimate vapour lock solution. Mount in chassis rail amidship, in-line filter on suction, increase suction pipe to 3/8ID. Remove the 2 disc valves in the mechanical pump & it will act as a pressure regulator & you will get 3 psi at the carb inlet with the engine running. Good for 65mph uphill on a 95F day in my 37 LaSalle. To filter [essential] I have 6 of 30 denier panty hose foot in the rad inlet pipes, clamped under the hose. Holds plenty & is out of sight.
Bryson in Oz

nasser

I am interested if Tom isnt, please email me at:
nalmasary@yahoo.com

Dr. Nasser

nasser

Chuck- forget my previous reply, I didnt notice Toms reply.
regards

John Washburn

Folks,

One issue that needs to be restated is never purchase a used fuel pump, unless you know what type rubber is being used in it. The Carter pumps are great, but today the alcohol will eat the old pumps rubber parts and it will fail (as will old NOS pumps)... The older Carter pumps, on the box state that it will fail if used with any alcohol based fuel.

So make sure it is a newer pump with the correct rubber or that the rebuilder installs the new rubber which resists the alcohol in todays gas.

Same goes for fuel lines, only use the new 30R9, Fuel Injection Hose which resists the alcohol.

I can send an article I wrote if you want more info.

John Washburn
CLC #1067

myrenkohlhorst 17794

Tom,
I installed the tefba radaitor filters in my 39-6119 7000 miles ago and left them in till engine rebuild time.The car had 147000 miles on it when I found it.Both sides and checked then at the first 20 miles or so.It all depends on what and how much shows up in the screens.You will have to drain down at least to there level to uncap them. I plan to run them at first when I start the new engine up any day now but they will not be used after a while. I had all the engine parts hot dipped and hope to not have anything in the screens but Ive got them so I might as well.Have a great summer.
Myren

Paul Ayres #5640

Guys - Thanks for the info on the Tefba filters.  I have used Gano filters in everyting I own after clogging the radiator in our 31 Cad V-8.  That engine also had boiled-out blocks, and a brand new radiator core, but calcium deposits formed and broke loose, clogging the tight spaces between the tubes in the radiator.  The thing I like about the Gano filters is that they are clear plastic, so you can see how much junk has collected in them.  The downside, as mentioned, is that you have to take them out of the hoses to clean.  I just ordered a pair of Tefbas to try out.  Paul