News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Old time junque yard

Started by Barry Wheeler #2189, April 21, 2005, 05:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Wheeler #2189

Gay and I took a swing through Northern Indiana today to pick up clocks for my son-in-law. On the way back, I asked her if I could stop in New Waverly  to take a trip down memory lane at the wooded yard of Bob Canfield. (Always ask, guys...)
I hadnt been there in fifteen years but everything seemed the same. Found the 51 Imperial sedan that still had the RH skirt hanging from the front screw. The 40 LaSalle 5219. The fact that few parts were still usable did not detract from the pleasure of seeing all this old iron once again. (There was a 1951 DeSoto with the wrap-a-round bumper guards front and back that would be a nice prize for someone.) Queen snakes and gully cats galore. In two weeks it will be overgrown for the summer. Ah, to be young again. (Oh, the LaSalle is too rusty unless you just want to drag it out to use as a lawn ornament.)

Barry Wheeler #2189

AS an adjunt to my trip down memory lane, Ill tell Doug Houston that I had cause to call Steve at Constantine, MI, (who had more 37 Fords in his junk yard than Henry made) not too long ago. None of the "good" stuff remains. He apologized for that, saying that he both needed space, and had to make a living... We were within ten miles of that yard yesterday.
Doug got the doors from the 1941 Cadillac convertible sedan that was there, and my friend, Jack Miller, in Terre Haute drug the car home and restored it.