News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

What to look for in 78 Eldo purchase

Started by Bob, April 22, 2005, 09:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob

Thinking about purchasing 78 eldo, what problems should I look for, what’s better carburetor or fuel injection, is 425 a good engine?

What type of problems to be expected with front end?

Parts interchangeable with other eldo years?

Thanks,

Bob

Art

Dont get one with a diesel engine, it was the first year and they stink.

Art

denise 20352

The 425 is not particularly powerful, but it is simple and sturdy, and chances are that you will never have any trouble with it.

I had a Toro that was older, before they downsized them, but I think that the parts are somewhat similar.  IIRC, the newer ones didnt have the torsional damper in them, which is a blessing.  The CV joints are not as much of a pain as some people seem to think...when they wear out, you just replace the axle and both joints with a rebuilt unit.  The front wheel bearings could be a pain.  I remember that they had to be pressed professionally.

Hope this helps

-densie

Dave Smith

Hi Bob,

The 78 Eldorado had only the gas engine available.  I would avoid the fuel injection equipped cars though.   They are pretty rare anyways.   The 425 is a good engine.   Not a real power house, but not troublesome at all.    Weak areas on these cars are the plastic fender extensions.   Rust under the vinyl top moldings too.   Look at the rocker moldings.  If they are held on with visable screws then there is rust under them too.    

Other than that, they are big comfortable cars.    Their only predator is the gas station owner!    Pick out a nice clean rust free one and live it up!

David

Randall McGrew CLC # 17963

They have all given you pretty good advice.  The only thing I can add is :

1. Good tires - spend the money and put on good all weather tires like the Goodyear Regatta IIs.  They make an enormous difference in ride and handling.

2. Have the brake system THOROUGHLY checked and fixed.  My 77 has disc brakes all round and the rears were a total mess.  They are a little hard to find but they are out there.

3. Change the shocks and make sure the front end suspension is good.  The trans-axle played havok with me until I found a good source.  The source NAPA uses are crap but in the long run at $98.00 per, they arent too bad to replace.

4, The 425 cid is a good, solid and dependable engine.  Have the carb checked and rebuilt.  Its worth it.  They may not be rockets but, what with the gearing, they will still get you on your way smoothly and powerfully.

Most of all enjoy it!!  Good luck on your search.  I believe 1978 is the last year of the full size Eldorado.  Sorry folks, but the new smaller size just cant compare.

Lars Kneller 8246

EFI wasnt available in the Eldo in 78.  It was in 77 on the 425, and in 78-9 on the other Cadillac cars.

Matt Mersereau

"The front wheel bearings could be a pain. I remember that they had to be pressed professionally. Hope this helps" -densie

Nothing worse than a wrinkle in your bearings. Will that be medium or heavy starch, sir?

Sorry, I couldnt resist.

Ed Dougher

You wont go wrong with the 425!  Ive never found the 425 to lack power in the RWD cars.  They may not produce great clouds of tire smoke off the line, but when other cars are screaming and downshifting to climb hills, the 425 is completely relaxed and not that far above idle in high gear.

I quote, from my 94 Guinness Book of Records: "The highest recorded mileage for a car was 1,442,044 authenticated miles up to 25 Jan 1993 for a 1963 Volkswagen Beetle owned by Albert Klein of Pasadena, CA. The highest record mileage for an automobile with the original gasoline motor without an overhaul is 577,363 miles to 5 Jan 1993 by Don Champions 1979 Cadillac Sedan de Ville."

Jeffrey Klinner

I just made the purchase of a 78 Eldorado Biarritz Custom Classic with 23K miles.   It is a fantastic car.  I learned to drive on the 425 engine as a teen.  This engine is almost indestructible.  The power is not amazing, but is most ample for what these cars are.  I had to replace the radiator, one exhaust manifold, one CV boot, and a set of correctly sized white wall tires.  Otherwise, an excellent automobile.  Thus far, I have driven the car to the beach without a hitch.  The climate control works beautifully.  The only glitch I have experienced is the Sentinel will delay sometimes and go off with the ignition others...my Guidematic works like a charm!   Get the Biarritz.  There is nothing more comfortable than those pillowed seats.

Jeffrey
56 SDV
78 Eldo
97 SDV Delegance

Paul Robinson

To fill gas tank / 10 mpg equals 270 care free driving miles.  God I luv my hog

Bob

Is the 425 similar to the 429?  Or more closely resembles 472?

Bob

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Bob,

The 425 is a smaller brother to the 472 and 500.

The 429 is old technology, and was replaced by the 472.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV.

Dave Smith

re:  27 gallons x $3.00 = $81.00

well, at 10 mpg x 27 gallons = 270 miles, then divide 270 ny $81.00.    30 cents a mile?  is that right?   Doesnt sound too bad if you put it THAT way!   He he he.

See you on the Highway!

David  :)

arthur gold

wasnt the olds 350 available in 78

Rob Gerace #16100

The Olds 350 gas engine came only on the Seville in 1978.  Of course, the Olds 350 DIESEL was optional on the whole line.  So, you wont find a factory 350 gas engine on an Eldorado of that vintage.  

However, the new downsized Eldo of 1979 came with the Olds gasoline 350 standard for that year only.  1980 saw the return of the Cadillac-built engine in the Eldo, in 368ci form.  

The diesel 350 was offered in all of those years, starting in 1978, and it was standard on the Seville in 80 and 01, oddly enough.  

I hope that helps clear it up.

Rob
66 SDV

arthur gold

78 eldorado had a diesel engine option?

Rob Gerace #16100

It appears after more careful reading, the diesel was only offered on the Seville for 1978.  It was offered on the Seville and Eldo for the early part of 1979 and on the full line starting midyear in the 1979 model year.  

Sorry about the confusion.  Sometimes these books dont spell things out clearly unless you read the entire section.

Rob