News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1949 Cadillac convert to p/s

Started by Ron Draper, April 22, 2005, 11:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Draper

Hi Folks

I would like to convert my 1949 Cadillac Fleetwood to power steering (and maybe get the wife behind the wheel).  I have seen some rack and pinion setups to do this for $1,500.  Too rich for me.  Has anyone done this safely and cleanly using the GM p/s gearboxes?  One fellow told me to use a 55 setup - align a bolt and then start drilling.  I am not looking a step by step (which would be NICE) but rather the trouble points and ways to avoid them or to improve upon the task using that wonderful 20/20 hindsight.  I am wondering about the frame stength in that area needing reinforcement and how to do that so it looks clean and safe.

Thanks to all SS.

Let the good time ROOOOOLLLLL.......

Ron

Ted K

Hi Ron, I cant help you, but I would be interested too, and for the same reason. Also would like to improve the brakes.

John Washburn CLC #1067

Guys,

The option for power steering was available at least by 1952. It came standard in 1953.

The front end parts for 49 thru 53 are the same, the pump will fit as will the pulleys. I think that the power steering gear will also fit, but it is, as is the 49, a one piece unit so you have to make sure the overall length is the same (to the steering wheel). Taking these units our is a pain, since you have to jack it up really high to get the unit out. Last time I did this I had to remove the front spring to get it in and out, but could only raise the car about 4 feet.

The 55 is a totally different unit, two piece, so it will not fit unless you want to do a lot of work. Not sure about the 54 Cad so I would do some serious investigation.

Buying all the parts, pulleys, power pump, belts, brackets,and steering gear will also be expensive. So unless you can find a parts car you might want to do a cost benefit ratio.

I drive the 49 the wife drives the 53 or the 56.

John Washburn
CLC #1067

jyinger

Will the steering column from a '52 or '53 Cadillac work for this conversion?
Jon Yinger

Caddy Wizard

I bought a power rack and pinion kit from a vendor for about $1700 for my previous 49 fastback.  I regretted it.  The thing was under-engineered and would flex the rack back and forth (eventually, the mounting plates would have broken from fatigue failure if left like this).  I had to design and fab my own reinforcements for it to take care of this.  Plus, the generic GM pump looked out of place in the 49 engine bay.

Similar story on the brakes.  I bought a power disc brake kit from the same vendor for about $1300.  Installed it and never could get it to work right.  I was a German car mechanic for 10 years and I couldn't make the system work correctly.  I had a local shop try as well -- no dice.  I finally took it off and went back to drum brakes.  I designed a custom bracket to mount a dual circuit master with remote reservoirs in place of the stock single master -- peace of mind against catastrophic brake failure.  That worked great.  I can supply you with a good kit for doing so, if you want (I made 50 of the parts for this conversion). 

I ended up selling that fastback at Hershey two years ago to pay for kids college tuitions.  Now I have another 49 fastback and have no plans to add power steering.  I have replaced the single-circuit master cylinder with a dual circuit master using my adapter kit. 
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Tito Sobrinho

"I would like to convert my 1949 Cadillac Fleetwood to power steering"

Definitely....NOT.

Follow Art Gardner's advice. Last year, I drove a '49 four door "converted" and oh boy...clicks, clacks and clunks every time I did a turn. The engine didn't have a slow idle and I think, it was due to the excess appendage.

Art? Valid thought?
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

Caddy Wizard

Clicks and clacks on a converted PS system could be a telltale sign of flexing of the brackets, like I experienced.  This is a serious issue.  If you buy such a system and it has simple flat mounting plates to secure the rack to the frame rails, you will have to beef up the plates with some structural support.  Something in the nature of long gussets.  I used large square tubing welded to the sides of the plates.  I went through a couple of iterations before I settled on this.

Again, I am avoiding putting PS on 49s going forward...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

I have a 54 CDV and the early 54's like mine had the one piece steering shaft, so to get the ps 'box out I have to jack the car right up - it's a real pain. Mid way through the year they changed it to the two piece set up [same as 55]. Looking at it , the only difference is that the shaft is cut and has a plate welded on the end to mount the rubber coupler. So , I am guessing that if the shaft in a 52-54 set up is the wrong length you could do the shaft cutting/welding thing. FYI, a friend of mine fitted the kit mentioned to his 49 fastback and he is very happy with it, personally I agree that the pump etc. looked a bit out of place unlike an early 50's one would.
Phil

Caddy Wizard

As an alternative to adding power steering to a car that didn't have PS, one should consider different tires.  I recently put some special tires on my 1950 S62 sedan and was stunned at the difference in steering effort.  The new tires feel like "half-power" power steering -- a huge improvement.

The tires are WWW radials that look for all the world like bias ply tires.  They have a very narrow (4.9") tread and take high inflation pressures, so they steer very easily, even at very low parking lot speeds.  As radials, they handle much better than bias ply tires, but have that classic bias ply tire look.  They are made by Yokohama and sold by Diamond Back.  700R15 is the size, giving a tire diameter about halfway between a 8.20x15 and an L7815.  I figure my speedo might be off about 1% as a result.

The only drawback is the price (ouch!).
Art Gardner

Steve Passmore

A very economical way of improving the brakes is to fit a remote servo unit somewhere back down the chassis, These were fitted to dozens of English cars in the 60s. I did this on my 37 and the brakes are fantastic, I chose the biggest they made for the Austin Heally 3000, these actuate by just fluid pressure and vacuum, they have no mechanical attachment to the pedal so fit them where you like.  Mine were bought on eBay for about $100, and I suppose I spent that much again on re routing pipework and fittings.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe