News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Bad, Sad, News

Started by JIM CLC # 15000, April 28, 2005, 12:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JIM CLC # 15000

04-27-05
To, All owners of Used, Abused and Misused Cadillacs and La Salles.
Was readn the USA Today, and read that startn with the 2008 model year, all cars sold in the USA will have to have "tire presure monitors" as standard equipment.
Also, saw that there is a large recall by the "General". 1,500,000 units, best I remember it was for a "seat-belt" problem.
Thats all they need at this time is a massive recall.
Good Luck, hang-on to the old one, Jim

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Jim,

One would think it would be easier to get the drivers to check their tyre pressures, but dont you have some Amendment to stop telling people what to do.

And, the Seat Belt problems is a fault of the designers, so they should be sacked.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Dave Smith

Unfortunatley "todays" new car driver doesnt even open the hood, let alone inspect their tires.   It is easier to ignor them, roll your SUV over then go look at the brand to see if you can sue someone.

I sure hope the monitors work better than the ones used on the Chrysler Pacifica.  They give false warnings every time there is a big temperature change!  

Yup, cars are becoming too complex, too expensive to fix out of warranty and quickly obsolete as parts dry up way too soon.  The disposable car is here now.  What will our Grand Children collect?

David

George

Should there not be some system to let the driver know when its raining, then the driver would know to put the wipers on.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

There is and Cadillac calls (or did call)theirs "RainSense", plus theres Twilight Sentinel to turn the lights on when it gets dark and Intellibeam to dim the headlights when another car is approaching. Im holding out hope for a system that will brake a vehicle when it detects traffic stopped ahead, something some drivers are not able to do on their own.

David #19063

Rusty,

The Lexus GG430 has it.

From pg. 70 May 2005 Motor Trend:

Read the Electronic Overload sidebar.

It explains the system and then states how it does not work in the real world.  

Notes senior test editor Chris Walton, "buried deep inside the GS430 is a great car; we just cant find it."

David

JIM CLC # 15000

04-28-05
All,  my wifes E-320 is equiped with a "rain-sensor"-intermitent windshield wiper.
Turn the wiper control to the intermitent position and it goes for one swipe, if the rain continues the wiper swips about every 15 seconds. If it starts to rain harder, the wipers will go from intermitent operation to constant and speed up with the rain. The operators manual states to BE sure Not to leave in the "auto-rain" mode.
Also, I have seen tests conducted (on TV) where "radar-controlled-brake-systems were being tested.

Reminds me of the lady in Geogera that got the speeding ticket.
She told the judge, there were signs every fews miles that stated "speed controled by radar",I was letting the radar control my speed!
Judge said,case DISMISSED!
Good Luck, Jim

David KIng CLC #22014

You can thank the Ford/Firestone problems of 4-5 years ago for this tire pressure system.  The Government was moved to act.  

Another note on the subject to remember:  When you get your first car/truck with this system.  You will have to take the car to a dealer or service dept. for a tire rotation or any time the wheels are relocated from the factory postion.  Each valve stem has a unquie radio transmitter/transducer which transmits the pressure for each wheel to one of the computers in the car.  So if the wheels are out of position, the computer and other systems will be reacting to incorrect data.  This could affect ABS, Stabilitrack, etc.  The system will need to be updated/reprogramed to ensure the correct wheel is being monitored.

Todd Rothrauff

Hello David,

The new Ford Expedition and Explorer both have a tire pressure system that uses a sensor at each valve stem.  When the vehicle is traveling over 20 mph, these sensors transmit a radio signal to the TPMS module.  If this value is outside of a specific range, the warning light is illuminated in the dash.

On a Ford with this type of system, tire rotations and checking/setting tire pressures DO NOT AFFECT the system.  

The new Ford Freestar minivan, like the Windstar before it, has a system that uses 4 individual wheel speed sensors to count tire revolutions at speed.  The theory here is that tires with less air pressure are smaller in diameter, and therefore, spin at a different rate.  When the computer counts a different number of revolutions for a specific tire, it assumes a tire pressure error, and turns the light on.  This system IS affected by tire rotations and checking/setting pressures, and must be reset each time either is done.  However, resetting the system is a simple process that anyone can do.

I can see where GM products may be different.  One of our sales people owns a C5 style Corvette.  His message center will actually display the tire pressure at each wheel.  This would indicate that the TPMS module can not only read the tire pressure signals, but can also associate a received signal with a specific position.  

Thank you,

Todd

Todd Rothrauff

I seem to remember reading about Packard trying something similar to what you described.  The system was designed to maintain a safe distance between you and the car in front of you.  If I remember correctly, all was well until one of the project managers took the prototype home from work one night.  At each intersection where he had to make a right hand turn, the car came to a screeching halt.  Cars waiting at the intersection were interpreted by the system as something appearing right in front of him, and applied the brakes.

Todd

Richard Pope

My wifes 2000 Chevy Impala LS has the same system as you describe in the Ford minivan -- where it montiors the wheel rotation.

This has actually help catch 2 flats (slow leaks) before the tire went completely flat, but it also went off when I got new tires because the kid put 60 psi in one tire and when it heated up after driving, the pressure went even higher...

As with anything there is a trade-off.

If they were really serious about safety they would just make all tires have to be run-flat designs. Why bother with more electronics? Lobbyists...

Richard

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

I read where the Cadillac system works like the Corvette and displays the exact pressure of each tire, but I havent seen one.

David King #22014

I work for GM and was on one of the 1st programs where this was being used (H3).  My understanding of the system was each wheel is monitored.  I was concerned from an Assembly plant view as it affects vehicle programming and the daily operational  issues associated with building vehicles.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

David, Even though this system costs more, I think its the only way to accurately assess the tire pressure in each tire. Just like ABS and Stabilitrak, it will probably filter down into GMs lower-priced lines in a couple of years and I think thats great.  I really believe from what Ive read that the vast majority of the Firestone blowouts and Explorer/Mountaineer rollovers were caused by excessive heat build-up in steel-belted radial tires leading to catastrophic failure usually from tread separation. I remember that when steel radials first began to be popular, we were told that low tire pressure and the resulting high temperatures were those tires greatest enemy.

Porter 21919

You still have to manually add air to the tires. What next, an onboard system that automatically adds air to the tires ? Where does it end ?

A tire that is properly sealed doesnt leak air, when they leak they leak pretty rapidly. Dont people know you have to check the air pressure periodically ? When my tires are properly sealed they never need air added, recently I had a few leakers, 5 lbs. per week, pull the tire and clean the rust on the ten year old chrome rims.

Make them read the service manual and be responsible for the safe operation of their vehicle.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Rusty,

Maybe people shouldnt be able to buy/drive a car, or any sort of vehicle, until they have successfully completed a course of instruction in vehicle maintenance and safe driving.

No amount of onboard systems will get a driver to actually look at what warning lights are doing.   Heck, this day and age, if the owners manual isnt in the glove compartment to see what the light actually is indicating, then it means nothing to them.

Most of the problems these days come from the greedy Service Station Owners and Operators, sacking all the "Pump Jockeys" and having everything Self Service.   Over here, they want to compete with the Supermarkets, and still have only one operator, and that person is sitting at the cash register.   (At least here, we can fill up our tanks, then go in and pay for it).

And, whats more, they put the tyre inflation hoses, and water outlets, well away from the Pump Islands.   No wonder the simple things dont get checked.

When was the last time someone offered to operate the pump, check the oil, water and tyre pressures whilst you remain seated in the car?

There is still one Service Station here in Hobart (Tasmania)  that offers a full driveway service, and, yes, they do get a lot of customers, and the petrol prices are the same as the Self Service down the road.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

David #19063

Bruce,

The last time I went to a full service station they charged 50 cents/gallon more than self serve and this is when premium was only $1.30/gallon.

So when I have my 25 gallon tank filled, Id be stupid to pay someone $12.50 to check my oil, psi, etc.  Especially, when it takes them less than 5 minutes to do that.  Thats paying the shop about $150/hr to do so.

Thats why.

Now, I do check my own oil usually every or every other fill up, but then I am a car guy and usually drive older cars.  But I do the same for our newer ones and the Northstar does seem to be oil thirty, as all Northstars seem to be.

David

Porter 21919

I had one for two years, a new 93 ETC. Used a qt. of oil every 1,500 miles. Plenty of power but once they reach 100 k mileage look out.

Basically an HT 4100 derivative engine that lasted twice as long, albeit with twice the power. After all the previously acclaimed Cadillac engines you would think they could do much better.

I for one am sick of all this problematic high tech new car nonsense.

The new cars are like a computer with a shelf life, the least they could do is make them affordable.

Porter

David #19063

Hello Porter,

I disagree.  I think the Northstar is a very good engine.  Yes, they do seem to consume oil, but I was told they were designed that way for the higher rpms.  Our 96 Concours has 105k on it and the engine and trans have been great.  

It is the cars electronics that have been a problem and cheap interior trim pieces that crack and warp that are the issue.

What better engines are out there?

I really do like the LT1 in my 94 Fleetwood.  The Supercharged 3.8L V6 in my 95 Riviera was nice,  but not as powerful as the Concours 300 hp Northstar.

I am sure the LS1 and the 400 CID LS2 are great as well...but unfortunately, they do not put them in a full size Cadillac right now...hopefully, one day they will.

David