News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

6volt to 12volt conversion

Started by Doug Lemon, April 29, 2005, 12:40:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Lemon

I have just purchased a 1954 professional car and want to know more about a conversion.What is involved.   I have heard of putting an 8 volt battery in and just adjusting the voltage regulator....any comments.  Doug

Doug Houston

Well, my first question is: whats the reason for wanting a 12 Volt system in your car?  Starting in 1953, all General Motors V8 cars  had 12 Volt electrical systems. From your question, especially in this forum, I assume that your professional car is a Cadillac. That being the case, there isnt really a question here. Am I correct?

Now, on the issue of 8 Volt batteries (in 6 Volt cars), theyre used because the owners mechanic hasnt the ability to make the car start properly on the original 6 Volt system, or possibly that the owner doesnt want to spend the money to have the electrical system  put in proper order by competent technicians. With the 8 Volt battery, the headlights burn really bright for a much shorter time.   The radio  power supply will burn up with just a few hours of running time (maybe less), and dash instruments will give strange indications. Sure, 8 Volts will replace the voltage lost by the starter being poorly grounded, or needing brushes, bushings, etc., but putting undue loads and stresses on the system as designed has its cost in the not-too-long run. Just got my current Self-Starter and read Bentwrenchs dissertation on grounding and this is a very rare occasion where I agree with him. Heed his advice.

Sure, we cant use our vintage cars the way we use our modern cars because the electrical system had its shortcomings. The generator didnt charge the battery at idle as the present day alternator systems do. The radios drew between 7 and 9 Amperes, so you cant play them long without the engine running, or call road service!Today, you can be in a traffic jam with the headlights, radio and heater going and still not drain the battery.  When solid state radios appeared, battery drain went down to an ampere or less. But if the starter is in top condition, with all mating surfaces clean and making perfect contact, or if youve put a grounding stud for the battery cable on the commutator end plate. you can be almost shocked at the crtanking speed of your 6 Volt starter. So, all of this wipes out any excuse for 8 Volt batteries. Just do the whole thing right, and no short cuts. Ive been there; done that.

Doug Lemon

Thanks  Doug    you are right   there is no question.  I was told this car is 6 volt  and as  I have not taken delivery of it yet,I have not had a chance to go over it.At our local CLC meeting last night I was told about all 54s are 12 volt   so  yes the question is redundant.. Thank you for replying   Doug