News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1963 electrical glitches

Started by Lucas F. CLC #15674, April 29, 2005, 08:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucas F. CLC #15674

Hi

I would like to ask for advice on what to do with some minor electrical problems I am having:

When the drivers door on my 1963 Series 62 convertible is open at a certain angle, none of the power switches in the armrest will work. This leads me to believe I have a breaking wire, most likely the feed wire.
I plan to fix it by running a new feed wire from under the dash through the "boot" in the door and bypassing the old feed wire.
Is this a practical solution?

Also the courtesy light in the drivers door pull has stopped working. However, I found that if I ground the left terminal in the door pull the light will go on. Is the switch a "negative" (ground) switch? I plan to run a new wire from the door jamb switch through the door frame and into the door. To get at the wiring I need to remove the kick panel. How do you do this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Lucas F. CLC #15674
1963 Series 62 Convertible

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Lucas,

Well, I would hazzard a guess that you are most likely going to have more than one wire showing bamage where the loom passes from the body to the door.

For one to have a chafing, or wearing problem to the point that one wire has failed, then Murphys Law will conclude that there could possible be other wires that require repairing.

Further, it wouldnt surprise me that the wiring to the Courtesy Light is in the same loom, or one running very close to the window loom.

If it was my car, I would be removing the door panel, stripping down the loom wrapping, locate the "breaks" or "chafing", repair, then re-wrap and reinstall.

I had a similar problem with the windows in my 60, and even though one wire was broken, three others required repair.   Nothing worse than a loose bare wire.

If you do do what you mentioned, then you will have to disconnect the wire that is broken at both ends so it cant get "caught up in the system" and transfer unwanted voltage.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

john k

Lucas: I had the exact problems with my 64. I fixed them exactly as you mentioned.

Lucas F. CLC #15674

Thanks Bruce + John

I will tackle this next time I have few extra hours.

Can either of you tell me the best way to remove the kick panel without damaging it? It appears to be sort of wedged in against the floor and the firewall. One edge is concealed behind a moulding that goes along the door frame. I did not see any screws exceopt those that hold the vent grille in place (I have a non-air-conditioned car).

Thanks,

Lucas F. CLC #15674
1963 Series 62 Convertible

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Sorry Lucas,

I think you will find that if you undo the Vent grille, then the kick panel will easily come out.   Might require a bit of juggling at the carpet, but shouldnt be much.

I know in my 63 Chev, that was the case, so I would say that the Cadillac would be the same.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Lucas F. CLC #15674