News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cars with bigger engines...

Started by Rhino 21150, May 03, 2005, 05:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhino 21150

Cars with bigger engines involved in fewer crashes.
Bigger engine, faster car, more accidents, right? That intuitive logic isnt the case, according to a survey of more than twelve million passenger cars insured by Progressive, the nations third largest auto insurer and part of The Progressive Group of Insurance Companies, based in Mayfield Village, Ohio.
Cars with more than two hundred horsepower are actually involved in 17percent fewer auto claims than those with less than 200hp, according to the study.
However, when the more powerful roadsters are in an accident, they tend to inflict more damage - an average of $5,673 versus $4,663 for the punier models.
We also are a power-hungry nation of drivers - cars with 200 hp or more have surged from 9percent of all makes and models in 1990 to 54percent today.
Greensboro News and Record, April 15, 2005

Hey, I never had an accident with my 600+ hp Galaxie wagon! Or my 400+ hp Corvair. Or my 350+ hp Fairlane.