News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

79 Speedo noise

Started by Barry Wheeler #2189, May 04, 2005, 07:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Wheeler #2189

One of the problems on my new toy is that the speedo cable howls at speed. In coming home from our car club meeting last night, Gay asked if I was going to get rid of the noise...Not a complaint, she said. Just an observation. Well, you guys know what that means. FIX IT NOW! After looking at my 88 shop manual, which would be basically the same in the Brougham section for the 79 I would think, it doesnt mention any way to lubricate the cable. Just how to remove the cable HOUSING. Is this a pre-lubricated part that is remove and replace? I want to have all the stuff needed for a repair before I start taking the dash apart.

JIM CLC # 15000

05-04-05
Berry, if you can get to the end that the cable slides out of.
Pull the cable out,wipe clean, re-lubeand re-install.
I would do all of the cables, as no doubt the grease is drying-up and as the old sayinggoes, the wheel making the noise, gets the grease.
If you dont already have white-grease in a pressure can,you can get it that way, comes with a straw that you can insurt into the cable housing and lube away.
Good Luck, hope this cuts-down on unnecessary remarks, Jim

Tim Pawl CLC#4383

Barry, I have had this same issue on my 1980 Fleetwood and the solution is easier than you might think.  The center section of the dash around the speedo removes from the front. Remove the Plastic woodgrain section first which is 4 or 6 screws. Follow service manual.  This exposes the powder blue colored speedo housing. Observe this housing as there are two ways to dis-assemble, the first is the entire housing from its mount, the second is just the speedo portion. You want to remove just the speedo portion. This then pulls forward (toward driver in sitting position)and removes leaving the speedo cable and its sheath dangling.  From your local auto parts store or NAPA acquire, speedometer lube. This is a very runny lube not unlike lock ease graphite lock cylinder lube. Squirt into cable sheath, because it is the highest point in the system it will run down the cable (gravity is great) and lube the entire cable. DO NOT forget to lube the bearing on the back of the speedometer itself, as this might also be the source of your noise. Re-assemble in reverse fashion, do not overtighten screws holding powder blue housing as you can crack off the ears.  It will be amazingly quiet. Takes all of about an hour.

Viator Trudeau #8697

Berry, if you need an N.O.S. speedo for your 79 I have one. Call me at 757-547-3940

Barry Wheeler #2189

Thanks to all who helped me get this problem taken care of. I got to the speedometer, and found that there was zero slack so that it wouldnt slip out towards me. Knowing that you dont just pull or tug on electrical components, I buttoned everything up short of the suuround on the dash. Then arranged for a quick fifteen minutes first thing for this morning with my repair guy. So, I got up early, undid everything again, and went up to my repair guru. He got behind the unit and was able to disengage the clip and remove the speedometer. It turned out that the cable was dry as a bone, and lubricating it made the noise go away. Thanks again.